• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Official Summer 2015 Budget Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    There is fundamentally no reason why some cars should get hit with more road tax than others.
    Of course there is, quite a well-defined one.
    If contractors are a scourge on society and not helpful to industry, then it probably makes sense to have a punitive tax regime.
    How many times... it is not punitive that you have to pay an equivalent amount of tax to everyone else. Even with these changes, you are still paying less tax overall (it seems, anyway) on your income. You've benefited from a lucky break for X years which is being taken away, that's all. It's annoying and apparently a clumsy approach but it's not punitive or unfair. You benefit from providing a flexible resource to the job market by charging a premium for it, not by getting special tax breaks.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      How many times... it is not punitive that you have to pay an equivalent amount of tax to everyone else. Even with these changes, you are still paying less tax overall (it seems, anyway) on your income. You've benefited from a lucky break for X years which is being taken away, that's all. It's annoying and apparently a clumsy approach but it's not punitive or unfair. You benefit from providing a flexible resource to the job market by charging a premium for it, not by getting special tax breaks.
      Jeez, are you a Labour drone or what?

Why have corporation tax and PAYE? Why have different rates? Why have NI and income tax? Why have employed, self-employed and incorporated? Why have CGT? Why have claimable and non-claimable expenses? Why has travel allowances?

Becuase it isn't your utter stupid, binary, thicko world of business.

You're such a I think you could quite easily replace Ed Balls at the next election.

Comment

To be fair a stale sandwich could replace ed balls so there isn't much competition.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLordDave View Post
          To be fair a stale sandwich could replace ed balls so there isn't much competition.

Comment

This will be pushed onto the client, as I will be increasing my rate to cover the extra tax. So doesn't bother me and it it means IR35 is finally terminated then all the better.

Comment

It is being taken away because people like you are too lazy/stupid/incompetent/ill-educated to take advantage of something that is equally available to them as it is to us.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
                This will be pushed onto the client, as I will be increasing my rate to cover the extra tax. So doesn't bother me and it it means IR35 is finally terminated then all the better.
                Ok. But have you thought about this little thing - the extra rate you will have asked will also get taxed at extra levels. So you need to ask a bit more to cover that bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
                  It is not an exact science though as the bands are progressive and the tax is retrospective. Unless you make the next client pay for tax from the last contract

Otherwise, you just have to take a stab in the dark and live with it.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Ok. But have you thought about this little thing - the extra rate you will have asked will also get taxed at extra levels. So you need to ask a bit more to cover that bit.
                    True, I'll up it a bit more then....

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                      It is being taken away because people like you are too lazy/stupid/incompetent/ill-educated to take advantage of something that is equally available to them as it is to us.
                      Um, I do take advantage of it. If you think the reason that everyone doesn't set up Ltds and contract is because they're lazy and stupid, you're the blinkered one. Most contractors are lazier than most permies - many here take pride in it! And the system relies on most people being permies.

You do realise we're allowed to have a difference of opinion without it getting personal, right? It's a hallmark of well-educated people that they can actually have a debate without getting all angry.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X