• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Family members - how do they view you contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family members - how do they view you contracting?

Mine are a nightmare especially my old man. They just don't get why someone would want to only work for 3 months at a time, have no job security, no sick pay, no holiday pay, and work in different places.

Of course, I don't tell them how much I earn which might make them change their mind.

My old man, like I said, is the worse of the lot. He is 80 though. Still waiting for me to get a 'proper' job and stop 'messing around'.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Family? WTF is that?

Comment

My Dad hates it, but he worked for the same company for 35 years.
      I couldn't imagine anyone doing that in this day and age.

Comment

They approve of my job, especailly when they hit me up for a loan
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I'm not the only contractor in my family and friends' group.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Our generations folks come from a "Job for life" mentality though.

Mine are OK with it as they've seen what's happened.

Mother in law is/was quite vocal saying I should have a "Permanent Job" as it's "More Secure", to "Support her Daughter".

Now I just politely explain I was made redundant 8 years ago, and have been contracting since with only 2 months out, she shuts up (which is always a good thing).
            Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
            "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
              My Dad hates it, but he worked for the same company for 35 years.
              I couldn't imagine anyone doing that in this day and age.
              Aye. 40 years in a factory for my old man. Hated it he did.

Comment

This.
                Got made redundant twice.
                No job is secure, contract or perm.

Comment

When I told my Dad what I was on he started his own version of the Monty Python "in my day" sketch and now asks me at least twice a month what I'm on

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
                    Our generations folks come from a "Job for life" mentality though.

Mine are OK with it as they've seen what's happened.

Mother in law is/was quite vocal saying I should have a "Permanent Job" as it's "More Secure", to "Support her Daughter".

Now I just politely explain I was made redundant 8 years ago, and have been contracting since with only 2 months out, she shuts up (which is always a good thing).
                    Don't get it that bad lol. Having been made redundant 3 times in 10 years while permie it just hits home how crap the job security idea is.

Comment

Working...
                    X