• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Course in Software Engineering

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    Beck brought great success to C3 with what became XP. That's why everyne else started doing it.

The revisionism, my sides, my sides.

C3 got tulipcanned, it was a complete disaster, late and useless.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
      I don't think TDD is especially 'agile'. It's not like anyone ever followed the low-level designs under a waterfall paradigm anyway - as soon as you started coding you realised the design was broken.
      Aye, the usual agile argument. everyone does waterfall.

I started writing software in the mid 90s and I can recall then major, minor and build numbering of releases back then.

Nobody ever did true waterfall, releases always got staged and functionality got added and bugs got fixed with each release but somehow agile has told us that never happened.

Agile is bulltulip on an industrial scale and it makes a lot of money for training companies selling stuff to non technologists but don't try and convince a forum of time served people in the computing industry that development was always waterfall until agile turned up.

You have already made a tit out of yourself telling us that test driven development is not about testing, best get out that hole and stop digging.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        Nobody ever did true waterfall, releases always got staged and functionality got added and bugs got fixed with each release but somehow agile has told us that never happened.
        That still sound pretty waterfall to me. You just iterated through smaller ones.

but don't try and convince a forum of time served people in the computing industry that development was always waterfall until agile turned up.
        You're making my own point for me then. What's 'agile' about TDD?

You have already made a tit out of yourself telling us that test driven development is not about testing, best get out that hole and stop digging.
        Robert Martin says in 'Agile Software Development, Principles, Patterns, and Practices', this:

"The act of writing a unit test is more an act of design than of verification."
        Moreover, by definition you can't test code you haven't written yet. So opting to write a test before writing any code implies that there is something beyond testing that is the driving factor behind TDD.

Calling me a tit for suggesting that TDD is not about testing is calling him a tit for the same reason.

Bob Martin is an enormously respected leader in the industry.

You, on the other hand, write things like this:

I very rarely ever write private methods and in fact I would have them banned, I cant see the point of splitting up a large public method into smaller private methods. It does make the readability of the code much worse as you have to use the IDE then to follow the code looking for calls rather than moving down one large method.
        -- Minestrone

lol
        Plus... doesn't understand self-documenting code.

If you can do that it is worse taking a 100 line method and splitting it into 10 10 line private methods gives you 110 lines of code and 11 methods, you have taken a clean interface with one method and turned it into a mess of 11 methods, to understand the code takes longer as code should be understood reading the interface not the code. You have leaked what was a less than ideal 100 line method but one that was encapsulated into poor API. Interface should always be king.
        -- Minestrone

Doesn't understand what an interface is.
        Supposes can understand 100 lines of code!!! from a public method interface?

Like Woohoo says:
        Again, I hope I never have the opportunity to work with your code. Your a know it all and when confronted with a valid argument you insult, choose to ignore it or provide unrelated silly examples to confuse the issue.

Inheritance should be avoided at all costs.
        -- Minestrone

tool.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1865695

Comment

I got 2 lines through it and couldn't be arsed reading the rest.

I'm away out for a pint.

Comment

Working...
          X