• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Fallacy of global warming debunked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Faulty logic. Assuming those percentages are correct, they will have been largely similar for a few million years before man came along. If we add just a few percent to the effects from CO2 it is not necessarily trivial. A small man-made rise in temperature, added to those from natural causes like increased solar activity, could still have a major effect because some things, such as the release of methane from soil and ocean and the major effect that will have, are not linear in proportion to temperature.

PS Can't be *rsed to check that figure but I have seen the effects of H2O greatly overstated before because people have based it on the concentration in the lower atmosphere. Concentration in the upper atmosphere is much less.
    Whether it is in the lower or higher parts of the atmosphere does it matter?
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

we had to destroy the village, in order to save it

we had to destroy the forests, in order to save them
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Forget H2O and CO2, more scary stuff here:

The Top Ten Greenhouse Gases | Popular Science

PS Most global warming is due to Suity's farting.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          I was going to start a thread with the title "Phallusy of Glowball Wanking Despunked" but I thought better of it.
          FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            Isn't it ironic I remember in the 1990's being shown frightening images of how global warming would affect the forests, and they looked like this.

Now I thought this meant the forests would die because of climate change, but actually the deforestation in the photo above is caused by environmentalists chopping them down in the name of Global Warming for biofuel.
            Actually that's an image of a forest in Borneo being felled to make way for a palm oil plantation. Most environmental groups oppose this practice.

Palm oil | Greenpeace UK

The wood chips burnt in power stations actually come from timber industry byproducts: thinnings or crooked or diseased trees that were previously burnt in situ, or waste from sawmils.

PS Palm oil usage ...

Last edited by pjclarke; 19 June 2015, 13:00. Reason: added PS.
            My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              . If we add just a few percent to the effects from CO2 it is not necessarily trivial. A small man-made rise in temperature, added to those from natural causes like increased solar activity, could still have a major effect because some things, such as the release of methane from soil and ocean and the major effect that will have, are not linear in proportion to temperature.
              Climate scientists talk about forcings and feedbacks. A forcing is a primary external influence on temperature such as an increase in the greenhouse effect, or a rise in solar irradiance; a feedback is an influence triggered by the response to a forcing.

The release of methane from undersea clathrates and melting permafrost seems not to be a major risk (or less than was once thought), the biggest single feedback is water vapour. As I said, at constant temperature, relative humidity tends to remain stable: any water added to the atmosphere just rains out, however a warmer atmosphere can hold more water - humidity increases with temperature. As correctly noted above, water vapour is a powerful GHG, so the feedback is positive, amplifying the increase. This is not just a theory, the effect has been observed and found to be in line with model predictions.

Another non-linear progression is ice sheet breakup .....
              Last edited by pjclarke; 19 June 2015, 12:33.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                The English makes it a bit tricky to follow but for those of you who want a precis of what it says - basically it says man made global warming is b*llocks"

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140...se-det-nav_art
                Sounds rather opinionated but, credit where it's due, it looks like he has at least tried to do his homework, even if his conclusions may be bollox

(instead of, like most climate change skeptics, simply mouthing off without making even the least effort to study the question.)
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  meanwhile arctic ice is up
                  On planet EO, maybe, but not on earth according to the US National Snow and Ice Data center.

Arctic sea ice maximum reaches lowest extent on record | National Snow and Ice Data Center

Antarctic ice is up
                  Sea ice, slightly, land ice, not so much. Minus 100 cubic kilometres a year since 2002.

Polar bear numbers are up
                  Well, yes, since controls on hunting were introduced....

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
                    On planet EO, maybe, but not on earth according to the US National Snow and Ice Data center.

Arctic sea ice maximum reaches lowest extent on record | National Snow and Ice Data Center

Sea ice, slightly, land ice, not so much. Minus 100 cubic kilometres a year since 2002.

Well, yes, since controls on hunting were introduced....
                    So nothing to do with burning fossil fuels then?
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                      Sounds rather opinionated but, credit where it's due, it looks like he has at least tried to do his homework, even if his conclusions may be bollox

(instead of, like most climate change skeptics, simply mouthing off without making even the least effort to study the question.)
                      Disagree. The starting point for any 'homework', surely would be the IPCC reports. This guy didn't even bother reading the FAQs, just basically made up some sciencey-sounding words and charts from denier blogs, at least that's how it looks like to me.

Any gas of molecules of more than 2 atoms is a green house gas
                      Last edited by pjclarke; 19 June 2015, 13:11.

Comment

Working...
                      X