• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The spy who didn't love me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I think it was 1995. Is that good or bad?
    Nov '97 was horrific

Luxor massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

+1. Went in about 1991. I thought it was great. But Egypt's not in a good state. Even the sharks in the Red Sea seem more aggressive than they did in the nineties.

Comment

I went in 2008, so before Arab Spring kicked off. Glad I went when I did - unforgettable.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Any suggestions? I agree with what you said - I just can't think of a better way that is not drastic and cause more issues than it solves.
          Thousands of young muslims are being radicalised and drawn into the conflict.

We are too cautious about educating and insisting on western values (freedom, liberty, justice). I know the west doesn't get it all right, but IS justice is not justice. The way women are treated is utterly barbaric. Personally I think the BBC is all a bit soft and middle class. It doesn't want to upset anyone but the brutality is not being reported.

We also need a strong UN mandate, that can send a co-ordinated response into the middle east. I don't think segregation (india pakistan) is the right solution. But we clearly need a large number of UN peace keepers on the ground. Yes it will suck forces in. Yes it will be expensive. But can we really stand and watch indefinitely?
          Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 10 June 2015, 12:18.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            When did you chaps visit out of interest? Was it after '97?

I was in Sharm about a week before the Sinai bombings in 2005 (Sharm) and 2006 (Dahab)
            I visited Luxor in 2000 pre all the 911 baggage. Felt very safe then although tourists were just returning and the Coptic Christians hadn't been driven out. Wouldn't feel safe there now.

Comment

I was in Sinai in '94. Pure chilled. Pre building Dahab into what it is now. Just hippies. No buildings other than huts and palm trees on the beach. Lots of funny cigarettes around.

St Catherine's was less smoky but much the same.
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                I went a week after that. Place was deserted (not a pun) after from armed police and I got to climb the pyramid.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  I went a week after that. Place was deserted (not a pun) after from armed police and I got to climb the pyramid.
                  Was there any point in that?
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                    I was in Sinai in '94. Pure chilled. Pre building Dahab into what it is now. Just hippies. No buildings other than huts and palm trees on the beach. Lots of funny cigarettes around.

St Catherine's was less smoky but much the same.
                    After you'd been working on a Kibbutz?

Wonder if people still do that any more...

I wound up in a similar place - Taghazout in Morocco in'93 & that was pretty similar; lots of stoners who'd been there since the '60s. I wonder if these places are still like that? - I doubt it...

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      Was there any point in that?
                      Only to show geography not his strong point

Comment

Working...
                      X