• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spare time and none of it etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 with a 90min car journey each way.

I don't honestly know what to say, other than if you can WFH, early go's, staying over just one night a week all make a difference.

If they like you - lay it out - you need this to extend or you walk to next gig.

Saw a gig recently just 30min down the road from me. Ideal. But already in contract and my client is to big to burn.

Don't have a second income stream either, but that might change once kiddies are both at school.

I'm with you PsychoCandy
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      LOL. To be honest, I am more tech architect/consultant rather than purely support these days. But some clients are still a bit funny about being onsite I find.
      Some more than others....my son does the same (cloud/vm etc) for a large US based firm. He WFM 3/5 and sometimes 4/5. He is perm though and last I heard was £80k + bens so there are firms out there that are flexible.

Just get off your butt and find one.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
        Some more than others....my son does the same (cloud/vm etc) for a large US based firm. He WFM 3/5 and sometimes 4/5. He is perm though and last I heard was £80k + bens so there are firms out there that are flexible.

Just get off your butt and find one.
        And I thought you weren't that old a fart

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
          And I thought you weren't that old a fart
          Well you are not unknown for making P*** poor assumptions now, are you?

And don't bring Eek into it, he did nothing wrong!

Comment

1 hour 40 each way? You lucky bugger, Psychocandy. I'm stuck here working all alone in my front room going stir crazy while you're meeting all kinds of interesting people on the train.

Comment

My rate isn't great (but it's ok) and I have zero commute. I accept the rate because I have zero commute. WFH for 10 years now

Those sort of commutes would do my head in.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                According to Judge Judy, 2 kids are 20 times worse than 1. And 3 kids are 300 times worse than 2.

The good news is after 3 you stop caring.
                I'll stick on 2.

Would also add its tough when your in your 40s and theres a 10 year gap....
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
                  1 hour 40 each way? You lucky bugger, Psychocandy. I'm stuck here working all alone in my front room going stir crazy while you're meeting all kinds of interesting people on the train.
                  Nice people on the train :-)
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

when it gets bad you have to think, ' could be worse, could be a permie'

Comment

I had exactly the same in my last contract. Little-un arrived mid august, then started 2 weeks later.

Missed a shed load of time with him in his first few months which i regret. But needs must, as the mrs also had a long term illness so if i dont work we dont eat.

A few weeks ago i thought 'bugger it i need something closer', turned down an extension and found something in south wales 10 mins from my house.(I was willing to take a pay cut but actually ended up upping my day rate by 130 quid) The change has made a massive difference for things like being home in time to eat together and bath the baby everynight.

The dog is even getting walked more so he is starting to shed some of his winter weight

Comment

Working...
                      X