• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

100,000 civil service jobs to go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In order to reduce 100'000 civil service jobs, there will need to set up a project to do the work, which will require hiring more staff. Upon project completion - if Labour aren't in power by then - the original 100'000 jobs will simply be categorised into agencies or suchlike; still funded by the government but no longer civil servants.

It's all in the civil service handbook.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The Tories did that in the early 90's with the UK IRE's (except the National Physical laboratory if I remember correctly). Place I worked was re-designated as 'An executive agency of the DTI', and suddenly we were no longer 'Civil Service'. Thankfully though. Civil Service redundancy terms still applied When they asked for volunteers, they were expecting some trouble from unions and the like. The only problem they ended up with was the massive number of people clamouring for the redundo payout. Took me two years of pulling all kinds of scams to get it. Got the nice payout and the suspended (index linked) pension and went contracting. Win/Win !
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
        The Tories did that in the early 90's with the UK IRE's (except the National Physical laboratory if I remember correctly). Place I worked was re-designated as 'An executive agency of the DTI', and suddenly we were no longer 'Civil Service'. Thankfully though. Civil Service redundancy terms still applied When they asked for volunteers, they were expecting some trouble from unions and the like. The only problem they ended up with was the massive number of people clamouring for the redundo payout. Took me two years of pulling all kinds of scams to get it. Got the nice payout and the suspended (index linked) pension and went contracting. Win/Win !

Did you ever drink in that pub they had in your old work? I was invited in a couple of times, pints were dirt cheap if I remember.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          Did you ever drink in that pub they had in your old work? I was invited in a couple of times, pints were dirt cheap if I remember.
          The 'onsite' one that existed in the canteen, or that brewers fare thing (The Crooked Lum ?) that they built on the edge ?

The answer would be 'both' though....

Comment

The 'onsite' one that existed in the canteen, or that brewers fare thing (The Crooked Lum ?) that they built on the edge ?

Some kind of employee social club thing.

Did a contract in EK a few years ago, in the science park, one of these ones where they hire you and don't actually have any work to give you, all the contractors were in the Crooked Lum every lunch time getting hammered on stella.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              Some kind of employee social club thing.

Did a contract in EK a few years ago, in the science park, one of these ones where they hire you and don't actually have any work to give you, all the contractors were in the Crooked Lum every lunch time getting hammered on stella.
              Aye, the social club thing was a good old Civil Service Social Club, not for profit, for the members, by the members type thing, so the drinks were cheap as chips. Like most things, it was divided by class and religion though most of the committee were blue overall industrial staff and so were all the volunteers. Scientific grades were usually made to feel less than welcome We had the advantage of being on flexi time though, which the industrials didn't have, so we could nip down early on a Friday lunch time and dominate the snooker table.

Comment

I believe the target was for the coalition 1 million public sector job cuts, I think they were on target to get that. 100,000 job losses in the next term is hardly a great number in comparison.

Comment

Department of Energy and Climate Change

1600 overpaid fookwits can go
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Labour are now totally dead. They only got into power in 1997 by being pseudo-tory. In 13 years they did everything a Tory government would have done.

The unions are now sick of that and want a party to support the working class. Who will vote Labour anyway.

I am concerned there is no effective opposition.
                    I think there's plenty of working class individuals intelligent enough not to swallow Labour's (or the unions', for that matter) vapid class warfare rhetoric. It's just that in some areas, the Tory brand is so toxic (whether unjustified or not) that Labour serves as a protest vote. We'll see how that shapes up in a few years with UKIP and other parties as an alternative.

Comment

Out of interest how would you rate hutchy?

I would rather burn in hell than send the kid to St Aloysius where I spent a period of incarceration.

Edit:

Shawlands academy and Holyrood are clearly non starters, I don't want my children in IS or fighting me.
                      Last edited by minestrone; 18 May 2015, 23:50.

Comment

Working...
                      X