• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So who on CUK is voting Tory?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Yes....and an intellect to match!

I shall unashamedly be voting Tory again. As someone once said "If You Are Not a Liberal at 25, You Have No Heart. If You Are Not a Conservative at 35 You Have No Brain"

Are you whinestrone in disguise? Your board name is of a Celtic supporting nature so the complete opposite of a Tory (i.e. The Rangers )

Comment

Yes....and an intellect to match!

I shall unashamedly be voting Tory again. As someone once said "If You Are Not a Liberal at 25, You Have No Heart. If You Are Not a Conservative at 35 You Have No Brain"

Nobody notable said that.

Disraeli said "A man who is not a Liberal at sixteen has no heart; a man who is not a Conservative at sixty has no head.", whereas in 1986 The Hartford Courant attributed a similar quote to Churchill "Winston S. Churchill supposedly once observed that anyone who was not a liberal at 20 years of age had no heart, while anyone who was still a liberal at 40 had no head".

If You Are Not a Liberal at 25, You Have No Heart. If You Are Not a Conservative at 35 You Have No Brain | Quote Investigator
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Nobody notable said that.

Disraeli said "A man who is not a Liberal at sixteen has no heart; a man who is not a Conservative at sixty has no head.", whereas in 1986 The Hartford Courant attributed a similar quote to Churchill "Winston S. Churchill supposedly once observed that anyone who was not a liberal at 20 years of age had no heart, while anyone who was still a liberal at 40 had no head".

If You Are Not a Liberal at 25, You Have No Heart. If You Are Not a Conservative at 35 You Have No Brain | Quote Investigator
        I never stated that anyone "notable" ever said it. I just pointed out that someone once had.

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
          Do you think there "could" be a Tory - UKIP coalition?
          Ideally. As a libertarian, the euro sceptic, laissez faire branch of the Tories appeals to me. Not muppets like Cameron. Perhaps under a PR system the two parties could have more influence and success working together. In that event, I'd be happier to vote for the Tories, provided they were aiming to reduce the size and scope of government intervention; democracy as it is currently instituted is voting Dave/Ed/Nick to rob Paul on Peter's supposed behalf whilst pocketing a good deal for the govt they represent, and even the concept of pure democracy does not appeal to me, but at least if the Tories stood against growing the government, I'd see some value in them.

As things stand, they leave a sour taste in my mouth. I don't like Cameron, I think his rhetoric belongs to a brand of conservatism I couldn't care less for, but equally Labour is inept/predicated on antiquated ideologies of class warfare and state control of the economy, whether or not it lives up to them in practice, and has no desire to offer even the prospect of a referendum on the EU. It is important to bring the deficit and borrowing back under control, things I have zero confidence they will do. So the Tories are the lesser of two evils, but that isn't saying much.
          Last edited by Zero Liability; 5 May 2015, 18:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
            Are you whinestrone in disguise? Your board name is of a Celtic supporting nature so the complete opposite of a Tory (i.e. The Rangers )
            You make the mistake of assuming that if one is a Celtic supporter then one can only be of a leftie nature. That is a common misconception amongst the simple-minded, who strive to pigeonhole most things to fit their narrow perspectives.
            We are a broad church.
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I did.............

Comment

I never stated that anyone "notable" ever said it. I just pointed out that someone once had.

HTH

I never said that you said that anyone "notable" ever said it. I just pointed out that no-one notable had.

HTH

Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

You make the mistake of assuming that if one is a Celtic supporter then one can only be of a leftie nature. That is a common misconception amongst the simple-minded, who strive to pigeonhole most things to fit their narrow perspectives.
                  We are a broad church.
                  It's nothing to do with left leaning. It's to do with the Irish situation that embeds itself in the football rivalries in the west of Scotland.

Poor Irish immigrant families in the east end of Glasgow followed Celtic/Labour whilst the richer protestant business owners and workers followed Rangers/Tories. That's why you get families voting for the same parties their parents and grandparents voted for.

Thankfully that's all coming to an end with over 50% voting SNP

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                    It's nothing to do with left leaning. It's to do with the Irish situation that embeds itself in the football rivalries in the west of Scotland.

Poor Irish immigrant families in the east end of Glasgow followed Celtic/Labour whilst the richer protestant business owners and workers followed Rangers/Tories. That's why you get families voting for the same parties their parents and grandparents voted for.

Thankfully that's all coming to an end with over 50% voting SNP
                    Not my family. I guess the Education I received (in Ayr) endowed me with the ability to think for myself.
                    A trait that has served me well ever since.
                    Now it seems that all the under-educated families are plumping for the NATS. I suppose that is what you get when you allow first cousins to marry!!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X