• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

new road tax rules

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An expression about geese, feathers and hissing comes to mind.

I was just watching a program on player about rise of Hitler. Amazing what people will tolerate.

I'm off back to my flat screen TV and cheap booze.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      But won't I have to get my road tax up to date, and backdated to when it expired, in order to renew my car insurance? (I certainly wouldn't drive uninsured.)
      You need insurance to get tax, not the other way around. But having taxed it you can cancel the insurance and park it on the road, or let someone else drive it.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        You need insurance to get tax, not the other way around. But having taxed it you can cancel the insurance and park it on the road, or let someone else drive it.
        Not any more you don't. I bought a banger from a dealer on saturday for my son. Dealer taxed it online for him there-and-then and no insurance details were required which is just as well since he doesn't have any yet.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Have to admit, my road tax renewal is a couple of months overdue now, and no fines in the post yet (although I know there are some road tax checking cameras dotted around).
          I think you might expect to receive a penalty at some point soon regardless (happened to me when I took a car off the road and simply ignored the tax reminder). Only way to avoid this is to declare it SORN, which then makes it a more serious offence to drive it.

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Not legally you can't. Insurance is needed even just to park on the public road. Also if you let someone else drive it then often it's a requirement of their policy that the car is properly insured by the owner.

Comment

Originally posted by Grasser73 View Post
            Not any more you don't. I bought a banger from a dealer on saturday for my son. Dealer taxed it online for him there-and-then and no insurance details were required which is just as well since he doesn't have any yet.
            Normally when you renew online the system checks to see if there's insurance (and an MOT) automatically. Maybe you're right: for my new car I've paid the dealer in advance for the tax; not sure how that's going to work. And I get free 3 day "drive home" insurance, so it will be insured when I pick it up but potentially only for 3 days.

Not legally you can't. Insurance is needed even just to park on the public road. Also if you let someone else drive it then often it's a requirement of their policy that the car is properly insured by the owner.
            So basically nobody understands what's going on.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Hmm. Seems like a bit of a con.

Also, didnt know that anyone can now check to see if a cars taxed or not online. This is going to be good for the busybodies (like my neighbour).

Got a classic car which we only tax (and use) during the summer. So its on the driveway when not taxed but on the road when it is. Winds neighbour up for some reason that we stick it on the road.

Taxed it online at the weekend then stuck it on road. Im betting the online system is not updated immediately so you can bet hes checked by now. Waiting for please to knock my door so I can show them the printout.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X