• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The bmw run flat conundrum

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bmw is like a silk tie to a ford washable polyester tie.

They both do the same job.

But one is quality. It looks better, it feels better. It is classy. Not cheap.

I smile every time I get behind the wheel of my bmw. Mondeo is polyester to silk.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post

I smile every time I get behind the wheel of my bmw. Mondeo is polyester to silk.
      Totally love my 3 series. Only drawback is the rough ride you get on bumpy roads, otherwise pure class.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        Can of foam. Never tried it, but that seems to be what lots of cars do now.
        Load of wank. Got a Galaxy with a posh can of foam.

Had flat. Tried it. Just oozed out, drove 50 yards and it was just as flat as ever. Ended up having to phone the AA anyway.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

My BMW 3 series run flats cost over well over £200 each. Must be the bad boy size I upgraded to.
          Dont like run flats due to cost but I suppose could save your life on a blow out.

Despite this cost - you do really feel the potholes and bumps in the road in this car.

Comment

Forget the spare and carry a can of foam. Many new cars come without a spare anyway.

£200 is not unreasonable for a "premium brand" tyre, eg Michelin.

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
              My BMW 3 series run flats cost over well over £200 each. Must be the bad boy size I upgraded to.
              Dont like run flats due to cost but I suppose could save your life on a blow out.

Despite this cost - you do really feel the potholes and bumps in the road in this car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2xLM91NUMs

But Citroen since many years ago has provided protection and comfort with their suspension
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Got rid of mine a long time ago with no regrets. Quite a few reasons...

Harsh ride on uneven surfaces (even with non sport suspension)

Noise level after about 5k miles increases rapidly.

Uneven wear mainly on the rears caused by wheel camber and inflexible tyre walls. Quite a few pictures available online of tyres down to the canvas with plenty of tread on the outside.

Blowouts can still happen, run flats won't stop that. No added benefit there.

I got a pucture which turned out to be unrepairable; that's when you find out practically no-one stocks RFTs so I lost a days billing while one had to be sourced and bussed in.

The RE050 have terrible wet grip, they can let go with no warning at almost any speed. My F10 has all the traction/stability control wizardry but I'd rather not test that out when turning a corner to join a motorway, or find myself suddenly drifting across a wet bend (doing 35mph on a 50mph road). Pirelli's were marginally better but not particularly confidence building.

I have a can of gunk (official BMW stuff for no other reason than to shut the insurance company up) and breakdown cover.

And I now drive happily on Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym 2 tyres that are so much quieter and comfier. And stick to the wet roads better.
                Gronda Gronda

Comment

Originally posted by the_rangdo View Post
                  And I now drive happily on Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym 2 tyres that are so much quieter and comfier. And stick to the wet roads better.
                  +1 for the Eagle F1 Asym 2s. That's what I have on the front of my car.

Comment

I have four different tyres, one on each corner. I'm trying to decide which one is the fastest, stickiest, quietest? Nankang, Bridgestone, Michelin or Toyo?
                    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post

No. A silk tie doesn't come with a badge. It is inherently good. Here's how a badge works:

BMW 3 series = £15,000 car + £5,000 badge.

Ford Mondeo = £20,000 car + £1 badge.

Comment

Working...
                      X