• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Foodbank stats and stories

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I was working 65 hours at the age of 18. I had three jobs, all of them on minimum wage.
    Bollocks. The minimum wage didn't come in until 1998, so unless you were born in or after 1980, that's crap for a start.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Bollocks. The minimum wage didn't come in until 1998, so unless you were born in or after 1980, that's crap for a start.
      Ok, 'not mimimum wage' you pedant. It was low. 2.25 per hour I remember.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Not sure if FoodCycle is a national or local thing, but they do great work round here too, taking perishable food that's going to waste and cooking it for people.

"Food waste" is something more companies are thinking about... giving it away rather than chucking it out, etc.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Not sure if FoodCycle is a national or local thing, but they do great work round here too, taking perishable food that's going to waste and cooking it for people.

"Food waste" is something more companies are thinking about... giving it away rather than chucking it out, etc.
          Some companies are more willing to give their waste food away - round here, Booths (!!) will give their perishable food to the food bank, but none of the big supermarkets will.

It's almost worth hanging around to see what stuff Booths are giving away
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Yeah he is talking bollocks.

There were voluntarily "wages councils" for some sectors but the wages they stated someone over 21 should earn on were half that of the NMW when it came in.

They were actually abolished a year or so before NMW legislation came into force so you couldn't do comparisons.

I helped out in homeless hostels at the time and also had worked in a couple of sectors covered by these councils. The link was that the homeless guys worked in these poorly paid sectors.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Some companies are more willing to give their waste food away - round here, Booths (!!) will give their perishable food to the food bank, but none of the big supermarkets will.
              Not strictly true, Tesco, for example have partnered with Fareshare to distribute perishables ...

FareShare Regional Centres now receive regular supplies of quality fresh surplus food, from dedicated Tesco stores, providing a more reliable stream of food. In the last 12 months alone, Tesco has provided enough surplus food for 2.1 million meals and the partnership is going from strength to strength.

Our work with Tesco | FareShare
              My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                you tried raising a family of 4 on £6.50 an hour?

Friends of mine do and they have my admiration.

That's £260 a week. After rent, energy, water & council tax there is sod all left.

I spend that on our mortgage.
                Shouldn't they be limiting their offspring to the number they can actually afford and if it is zero then so be it - or is it a basic right to reproduce and expect someone else to pick up the tab?
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Mrs BP uses her spare time to help a food bank. What annoys her is the attitude of job centre staff when she drops in food. They look down on her for daring to help the starving!

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
                    Not strictly true, Tesco, for example have partnered with Fareshare to distribute perishables
                    Well, I was going on what the guy at the foodbank here told me when we were talking about it.

As I said - round here, Booths (!!) will give their perishable food to the food bank, but none of the big supermarkets will.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Mrs BP uses her spare time to help a food bank. What annoys her is the attitude of job centre staff when she drops in food. They look down on her for daring to help the starving!
                      Maybe they've sampled her cooking?
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                      X