• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SNP in practice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    The question "what happens if SNP won't support Labour OR Conservatives, if neither can get a majority without SNP votes" is an interesting one. It's assumed SNP will come to some agreement with Labour after helping to kick the Tories out, but what if they just want to play silly buggers? Is there a recourse other than common sense to prevent an infinite loop?
    Even a coalition doesn't necessarily mean they all vote as one (e.g. the LibDems voting against the government on boundary changes). I don't think a minority government (which is what we'll probably get) will be that big a deal in practice. Five years ago people were running around hysterically claiming that a coalition would never work in modern Britain, but in reality it's been a non-issue.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
      That doesn't matter. What matters is whether another party, whether Conservative or Labour, can get enough seats to take an overall majority, or have enough support across the house that the SNP cannot vote down anything they don't like unilateraly.

I somehow doubt, though, that the SNP will simply vote against whichever government on absolutely every issue, just to be awkward.
      Based on what exactly ? Apart from this one, the Scottish governments have all been coalition based, so partys are used to having to compromise and work together. You're demonising based on ignorance.
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
        Based on what exactly ? Apart from this one, the Scottish governments have all been coalition based, so partys are used to having to compromise and work together. You're demonising based on ignorance.
        Where am I demonising, and what is ignorant?

By saying I doubt the SNP would be contrary just to be awkward? By saying that for the SNP to not be able to hold a controlling vote the government would need the support of other parties?

I think you're a bit paranoid.

Comment

So why all the uproar about a minority party? Yes they can play spoilt children, but they wont get laws through which the main parties don't want.

and in 5 years time give them another referendum where they only need 10% to get independence..

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            Even a coalition doesn't necessarily mean they all vote as one (e.g. the LibDems voting against the government on boundary changes). I don't think a minority government (which is what we'll probably get) will be that big a deal in practice. Five years ago people were running around hysterically claiming that a coalition would never work in modern Britain, but in reality it's been a non-issue.
            Half of the parliaments of the 20th century were either minority or coalition.

But because we hadn't had one for a while there was a mad panic that they had to form one as soon as possible because it would be a disaster if there was uncertainty and "the markets" wouldn't stand for it. Then when there was the prospect of Labour doing a deal, the press started banging on about how it would be a "coalition of losers", whilst missing the point that all coalitions are coalitions of losers - otherwise there would be no need for a coalition in the first place!

They have two weeks to get to the stage where someone believes they have the confidence of the house, and then either Cameron stays on or he resigns and Miliband takes over. I don't think we'll see the panic that we had last time and a mad rush to try and sort something out in a few days.

Ultimately, I think it's most likely to be Miliband in number 10 in a confidence and supply deal / vote by vote deal with the SNP - I just can't see a scenario where Cameron has enough support to get past a vote of no confidence.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Ultimately, I think it's most likely to be Miliband in number 10 in a confidence and supply deal / vote by vote deal with the SNP - I just can't see a scenario where Cameron has enough support to get past a vote of no confidence.
              I'm afraid I agree. The SNP will vote against the Conservatives no matter what, even if they are the largest single party.
              Labour will then go on to try to form a government with an even smaller base of support.
              What will be slightly amusing is what will happen if the SNP then say "You have to scrap Trident if you want us to support you".

Theoretically, the SNP could prevent either of the two main parties forming a government, even with support from the smaller parties.
              At some stage then, one of two things happens - either one of the parties cave to the SNP demands, or the two decide they are better off supporting each other than being held to ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                OTOH it's going to be a dark day for democracy if Cameron gets the most votes, and we end up with Miliband as PM. I know this is a bit optimistic, and perhaps naive, but you'd hope that the other parties would do the right thing and respect the electorate.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Either there will be a minority Conservative government or a minority Labour government depending on which party gets the most MP's, it's happened before. Obviously they won't do very much, more or less decide on a budget and that's about it, be loads of horse trading before each vote. Actually will probably be a good thing.There's not much that needs to be done.
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 20 April 2015, 16:12.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    OTOH it's going to be a dark day for democracy if Cameron gets the most votes, and we end up with Miliband as PM. I know this is a bit optimistic, and perhaps naive, but you'd hope that the other parties would do the right thing and respect the electorate.
                    Most votes or most seats?

If Labour get the most votes, but less seats then should Cameron resign? If it's the other way round, should Labour concede defeat?

The only thing that really makes it "right" is that we haven't been in that situation in the past 100 years - but it has happened before.

The law is that the party that can command the confidence of the house forms the government, so if the Conservatives can't do that but Labour can, then the law says that Labour forms the government. With the Fixed Term Parliament Act, you could get the scenario where the government loses the Queen's speech vote, loses their budget but still remains in power because no-one has called (and won) a vote of no confidence.

Further, under the FTP Act, the government could lose a vote of no confidence, the opposition could form a new government and take over - and we wouldn't need to have another election. Just keep swapping over every so often for the life of the parliament
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

It is simple Labour - Tory coalition
                      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                      X