• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you pay to upgrade?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    My point is if travel is "part of your contract", your contract should override any policy. My personal time travelling has a high price and so does my health. If you want to die of DVT for a tulipty low paid contract, go right ahead.
    Er, then pay for it. If you have health issues, I can only imagine that you'd be on a tulipty low paid contract to give it a second thought. Negotiate a high rate, pay for the travel from YourCo without reimbursement. It's very straightforward, even for a Dim Prawn

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Some of you lot are unreal. You seem to think that economy is going to kill you? Get a grip will you.

Would you pay your own money for a holiday in business class? If so, you're richer than me. With two kids, its a case of economy/premium if I can afford it.

Kicking off to a client if they tell you its economy only is just nuts. Yeh fair enough if they ask you to travel then maybe they should at least pay for premium but not all companies will.

Kicking off just makes you look like a nobhead.
      I know you don't do business travel, but there are normal expectations when travelling on business. Partly this comes down to companies being scared of being sued for health risks, partly it comes down to the expectation that when you arrive you will be ready to begin work the same or the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
        I know you don't do business travel, but there are normal expectations when travelling on business. Partly this comes down to companies being scared of being sued for health risks, partly it comes down to the expectation that when you arrive you will be ready to begin work the same or the next day.
        True that, it's easier for most of these companies to agree to Business Class or at least Premium Econ than to deal with some traveller employee making health claims.

Most of them go through periods of cutting down on flight costs from time to time, but then reality makes them relax the rules a while later.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          ClientCo pays economy fares only, so for my upcoming trip to the US I was offered an upgrade to Premium Economy (one way) for $288 which I accepted.

But for the return leg, the upgrade will be $1200

Would you pay? It's a lot of money and I'm thinking about what I could do with £800 (quite a lot) but after CT is deducted it's a mere £650, or £65 per hour.

I'm conflicted
          Do you get paid for your travel time? It sounds like you're flying to the West coast (10 hours I think you said) so are you billing for a whole day, or something?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
            Years ago as permie used to fly across europe almost every other week. Company used to pay for BA Business class.

I left but I understand the policy is now BMI Baby economy. Its the way things go with some companies/
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Are you pumping your ex in this trip ?

Comment

Years ago as permie used to fly across europe almost every other week. Company used to pay for BA Business class.

I left but I understand the policy is now BMI Baby economy. Its the way things go with some companies/
                As always, it depends on length of flight and the advice from their legal team and / or insurance company, if you're a permie.

For a contractor it comes down to whether you can get something stuck in the contract or not.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Do you get paid for your travel time? It sounds like you're flying to the West coast (10 hours I think you said) so are you billing for a whole day, or something?
                  Good point! I'll get paid a normal day's rate for travelling out (on a weekday) but not for the return (on a weekend).

Comment

Too late! Option to upgrade to Premium economy has gone. Now it's Business class for an extra $2k or nothing.

I'll stay in economy!

Comment

Some of you lot are unreal. You seem to think that economy is going to kill you? Get a grip will you.

Would you pay your own money for a holiday in business class? If so, you're richer than me. With two kids, its a case of economy/premium if I can afford it.

Kicking off to a client if they tell you its economy only is just nuts. Yeh fair enough if they ask you to travel then maybe they should at least pay for premium but not all companies will. They're not going to change their policy for one arsey contractor.

Kicking off just makes you look like a nobhead.
                      Like everything thing else in contracting, to do with remuneration, all negotiable.

For example, I used to live 10 minutes from City Airport and it was suggested I should fly from Stansted. This was non-negotiable as far as I was concerned, I also negotiated full expenses on top of a great day rate and a Hilton Executive room (free booze).
                      I simply told them that I wouldn't go unless all of this was in place.
                      Obviously, initially, the client did not want to pay any of this; however, I eventually got the lot.

Guess that makes me “a nobhead”

"Company policy" has nothing to do with it, only permies have to worry about that.
                      I know for a fact, that contractors, where I currently am, have expensed and received, long haul, business class travel back to the client, even though the client policy is Business Class only for MDs and above.

Obviously, playing hardball is a risk, not all situations are the same and some clients just will not stand for it.
                      Depends on how good you are at sizing up the situation and how big your cojones are!!
                      Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 13 April 2015, 15:46.
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X