• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to drive firms away from the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

4. Perhaps a crafty way of reducing the amount paid to military reservists for their weekends charging about in tanks on Salisbury Plain
    This^^^

I know some big firms (and not so big ones) who do allow their employees to have a couple of hours a week to an afternoon off every 2 weeks to do some volunteering as it makes the company look good. The time given has to be to a registered charity or to the firm's charity of the year. This is how you get telephone operators for the TV charityathons.

Anyone above admin levels tends to make the time up so the companies actually don't lose out. Obviously reservists can't easily do this.

I worked for a firm years ago who when they realised other firms were doing this told us to mention we worked for them in any volunteering we did so they could get the publicity, but refused to give anyone extra time off or be more flexible to help them do the volunteering.....
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I never said that most philanthropists weren't capitalists. I agreed they were, but that this was a stupid point to make, which proves nothing. It's pretty clear most philanthropists must be capitalists, because those are in general the people who have the money! Only a minority of millionaires are aristocracy or lottery winners

One could argue that most of the would-be philanthropists never get noticed because their philanthropic tendencies lead to them never being rich in the first place. Many of the most famous philanthropists made that decision after getting rich... to the point that money has no meaning in the likes of Gates, Buffet et al. For them, philanthropy doesn't materially affect their lifestyle one jot; 1% of their wealth would still leave them ridiculously wealthy.
      I would imagine most of them wake up one day and realise money isn't everything and want to help.

some companies see charitable work as good business, others do it because its right and some others just abuse it
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
      X