• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boxes and boxes and boxes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sal View Post
    I'm running Plex on a VM alongside my lab with one TV that lacks built-in Plex is equipped with Chromecast. For the TV - FreeView is more than enough for kid TV and occasional news.

There is no clean solution for consolidating satellite boxes, that i know of.
    KODI does everything. Im now saving myself £100 a month.

Comment

Originally posted by Underscore Pt2 View Post
      KODI does everything. Im now saving myself £100 a month.
      Could you please elaborate on how KODI consolidates satellite boxes and what did you pay the £100/month previously that you can now do with KODI?

Comment

Could you please elaborate on how KODI consolidates satellite boxes?
        I'll save the time - it doesn't. KODI is what was XMBC - it plays media. It doesn't replace a satellite box at all.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          I'll save the time - it doesn't. KODI is what was XMBC - it plays media. It doesn't replace a satellite box at all.
          yes it does.

Kodi supports live tv from a backend - frequently TVheadend but you can use others. TvHeadend/VDR etc allows you to create a live tv server and Kodi has a client that can view that live tv.

You can then consolidate satellite boxes by popping a PC running tvheadend with lots of DVB-T & DVB-S (freeview & satellite) adapters on in Node zero (a cupboard where all your network junk can go). You can then with smaller boxes such as fire tv stick run Kodi on each TV and take away your satellite receiver etc from each room.

Tvheadend PVR - Kodi

If you store your movies / box sets on a NAS you can watch them as well.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I'm still happy with Topfield 5800 + Mystuff app. Purchased in 2006, it is still better than Sky+. Only Freeview however, and no HD.

Also Sony Blu-ray DVD for Amazon/Sony TV offerings, WD TV Live (doesn't understand YouTube anymore), controlled by Logitech Harmony remote.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              yes it does.

Kodi supports live tv from a backend - frequently TVheadend but you can use others. TvHeadend/VDR etc allows you to create a live tv server and Kodi has a client that can view that live tv.

You can then consolidate satellite boxes by popping a PC running tvheadend with lots of DVB-T & DVB-S (freeview & satellite) adapters on in Node zero (a cupboard where all your network junk can go). You can then with smaller boxes such as fire tv stick run Kodi on each TV and take away your satellite receiver etc from each room.

Tvheadend PVR - Kodi

So where do I put my Sky card?
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                So where do I put my Sky card?
                I can make some suggestions but SKY don't like them. If you search the forums you might figure out how. Personally they can be sure I don't want anything to do with them.

you could of course use Sky go etc.

OP did not mention sky, have you been on a Suity requirements finding course?

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                  I'm still happy with Topfield 5800 + Mystuff app. Purchased in 2006, it is still better than Sky+. Only Freeview however, and no HD.

Also Sony Blu-ray DVD for Amazon/Sony TV offerings, WD TV Live (doesn't understand YouTube anymore), controlled by Logitech Harmony remote.
                  Another option. But the idea is to centralise a TV server so you can watch anything anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    yes it does.

Tvheadend PVR - Kodi

Yeah, a bunch of TV tuner adapters running on a Linux box (drivers ??) controlled by a software, that connects to another software, that connects to a HDMI stick/set-top box on the each TV. What could possibly go wrong? Hardy a solution suitable for the average Joe.

Comment

Yeah, a bunch of TV tuner adapters running on a Linux box (drivers ??) controlled by a software, that connects to another software, that connects to a HDMI stick/set-top box on the each TV. What could possibly go wrong? Hardy a solution suitable for the average Joe.
                      we aren't the average Joe.

Comment

Working...
                      X