• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Labour supporter Jack Monroe defects to Green Party

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Erm, 4 birds killed by turbines. 2 detected illegal killings reported by October last year. Trust the Telegraph for a disingenuous headline. In 2013 in Scotland 23 birds of prey were the victims of crime, including poisoning, shooting and trapping, which number is almost certainly the tip of the iceberg, these activities being illegal.

Hmmm, 4 birds in 9 months. Regrettable, but not exactly the holocaust we were warned about.
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post

Take a nice green field.
      Then build a tarmacked road on your field then dig a massive hole. Next fill it thousands of tons of concrete to support a giant steel structure. Dig trenches all over what remains of your green field for the cables to connect to the grid.
      Charge poor people extra for the privilege of using your very expensive electricity.
      Pay rich landowners to use their land.
      Handover large subsidies to multi-national corporations

Your objections could easily be applied to coal-fired power stations, gas fired-power stations, nuclear power stations, solar-farms, the initial development of offshore oil fields ( apart from the "field bit" ) and tidal power.

The long and short of it is that all forms of energy production have an impact on the environment.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
        The long and short of it is that all forms of energy production have an impact on the environment.

Ffos-y-fran open cast coal mine, on the outskirts of Merthyr Tydfil,.

Everything about this scheme is odd. The edge of the site is just 36 metres from the nearest homes, yet there will be no compensation for the owners, and their concerns have been dismissed by the authorities. To reach the 10.8 million tonnes of coal they are hoping to extract, the developers must remove 123 million cubic metres of rock(9). The digging and infilling will last for 17 years, with explosives used to loosen the rock and machines working from 7 in the morning until 11 at night, generating smoke and dust. While the World Health Organisation identifies 55 decibels as causing “serious annoyance”, the planning conditions set maximum noise levels at 70dB. When local people say that the scheme will ruin their lives, I do not believe they are exaggerating.
        The new coal age | Environment | The Guardian
        My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Working...
        X