• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Payment terms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk to the agency. My contract has 30 days payment terms but they generally pay within 4. If you get nowhere, as DP said, get a 0% card or a temp overdraft.

HTH

Edit: The overdraft / CC should be on your personal acc BTW.
    Last edited by Pondlife; 19 September 2006, 13:28.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
      Every business should have enough cash ready to sustain zero cashflow for at least a year, better 3-5.
      Alexei,

If your business has 5 years worth of cash in the company accounts then I would say this is "wasted" opportunity. If it is quick liquidable assets yielding more than bank rate interest then fair enough.

Just to put another view on this payment lark: We had several contracts with a major global top FTSE player who had just outsourced their whole accountancy department to....

...none other than our benevolent Bangalore monkey friends.

Needless to say, we didn't have any payments from them for over 5 months and we were competing for payment with companies such as TNT (who could turn around and say we're not doing business with you until you resolve our accounts) whereas we couldn't.

We finally got paid (fortunately we had stage payments - this is also negotiable and can be problematic with your cash flow) and as goodwill from the client, negotiated a much higher 1st stage payment for all future projects as a result of this.

The bottom line is that a company MUST have sufficient cash flow to allow for abortions like the above scenario and also must have cash/insurance put aside for non-payment of creditors.

We've only learnt by our mistakes and luckily, we managed to pull through.

Also, apart from being illegal to draw down cash that has been reserved for tax/VAT, some business accounts do not have an overdraft facility.
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
        If your business has 5 years worth of cash in the company accounts then I would say this is "wasted" opportunity. If it is quick liquidable assets yielding more than bank rate interest then fair enough.
        Yes, naturally it should be in assets that can be quickly liquidated - certainly some cash in bank, say 6-12 months, and the rest is in bonds or what not.

5 years is probably paranoid, but 1 year is absolute minimum IMO, 2-3 is reasonably good area.

Comment

I can lend you a couple of grand to tide you over at a really reasonable rate !

Comment

Originally posted by Andyw

Thank you for your very kind offer, but we've over 5 years of cash in our business accounts now.
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Your dad gives you too much pocket money
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Andyw

Been saving all your pocket money and not blowing it all on sweets and comics?

Or did some bigger kid kick all your teeth in and you got a windfall from the toothfairy?

Last edited by Pondlife; 19 September 2006, 13:39. Reason: Damn that TonyEnglish for typing so fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
                  Been saving all your pocket money and not blowing it all on sweets and comics?

Or did some bigger kid kick all your teeth in and you got a windfall from the toothfairy?

the trouble with Pondlife is they seem to spend most of their time occupying stagnent water !

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
                    Thank you for your very kind offer, but we've over 5 years of cash in our business accounts now.
                    Well done hyperD, that is how businesses are run when their owners care about them.

Comment

AND paid your tax bills ? !!

Comment

Working...
                      X