• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good riddance of the week

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Lots of people don't look like their passport photos, and as it was a close family member it would be hard for security and airline staff to work out they weren't the same individual.
    Depends what headdress they had on...

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      Depends what headdress they had on...

They can be asked to remove it, and have to comply as security issues quash the right to freedom of religion.

To be honest there aren't proper exit controls so they don't care who leaves.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
        There are a lot of questions I'd like to hear answered from a lot of different groups.
        • School - What did they do to combat radicalization in the light of a previous pupil going to Syria?
        • Parents - Did they talk to their daughters about the dangers and misinformation spread by ISIS? How quickly did they realize the girls had gone and did they immediately inform the police?

And most of all the girls themselves. WTF do they think they are doing?
        My understanding is that some of the Muslims can be quite strict - so is it a case of these girls were trying to enjoy life in England but found that overbearing parents and authorities meant that they felt there only hope of true freedom was to run off as they were not able to integrate into UK society as they wanted to?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          They can be asked to remove it, and have to comply as security issues quash the right to freedom of religion.

To be honest there aren't proper exit controls so they don't care who leaves.
          A Hidschab and Tschador are okay as they show the face and can be left on for passport photo as well, couldn't find anything about the other headdresses though. Things are apparently changing:

Immigration Minister Mark Harper:
          “We have already committed to introducing exit checks by 2015. This legislation will
          introduce powers to enable carrier and port operator staff to play a role in carrying
          out these checks.
          “This will help improve our already robust security at the border, while causing as
          little disruption to passengers as possible. Our aim is to make it much harder for
          offenders to flee British justice and to better identify those who are in the UK
          illegally.”
          Since 2010, the Government has driven considerable improvements to ensure that
          passengers travelling to Britain are checked across a variety of databases before
          departure and upon arrival. We conduct electronic exit checks on a substantial
          number of journeys - we already screen approximately two-thirds of passengers who
          leave the UK with the help of advance passenger information

House of Commons - The work of the Immigration Directorates (January - June 2014) - Home Affairs Committee

See: Reintroducing exit checks on passengers
          departing the UK. Standard Note: SN/HA/6750
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

understanding is that some of the Muslims can be quite strict
            Indeed. Some Muslim girls have a bit more sense and find freedom by going to university.

Time out for bad behaviour | Education | The Guardian

Assuming they do not come back as terrorists, I still feel a bit sorry for these naïve young idiots. And some males too, I don't think they quite grasp what they are letting themselves in for. When they get there and see the realities it may be too late for them. Those who have second thoughts will not be allowed back.

I am not suggesting it is comparable in terms of the consequences but naivety of youth is not a new thing. Back in the 60s I had friends who embraced the hippy revolution and dropped out, throwing away promising careers. I wonder if they regret it today. Probably.
            Last edited by xoggoth; 23 February 2015, 19:46.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              I still feel a bit sorry for these naïve young idiots.
              I disagree. Darwinism makes stupid people extinct.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                I disagree. Darwinism makes stupid people extinct.
                Maybe it was so and that's why natural selection favoured superior brains.
                Now it seems intelligence and birth rates are inversely corelated.

Comment

I just realised that some of these birds are wearing headgear with a 'Q' in it.
                  A 'Q' not followed by a 'U'

What more proof do we need that these are despicable traitors. Make them all wear tandooris, that's what I say

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    I just realised that some of these birds are wearing headgear with a 'Q' in it.
                    A 'Q' not followed by a 'U'

What more proof do we need that these are despicable traitors. Make them all wear tandooris, that's what I say

Damn useful for scrabble.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                      Damn useful for scrabble.

civilisation is at stake, and you are worried about board games ?

EO in Richard Burton and 'the Atillery man' War of the Worlds mode
                      (\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X