• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Whats a sick day?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
    Never forget the day a contractor dropped down unconscious one Monday morning in the office, we thought he was a goner - rushed off in ambulance full blues and twos - back at his desk at 3pm and worked till 10pm to make up his time
    Makes one proud to be a contractor

Or the time at RBS in Amsterdam, a contractor snuffed it during the night, ..
    Holy carp - Whatever did they die of?

Oh in "hoping you won't repy 'They died of a tuesday, or was it a wednesday?'" mode
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Something pretty contagious - that's why they send the project tea boy to go and get the laptop
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Makes one proud to be a contractor

Oh in "hoping you won't repy 'They died of a tuesday, or was it a wednesday?'" mode
        Heart attack (might have been the hookers and drugs also)

But story gets better

Wife comes over to arrange to bring body home to discover his girlfriend was already arranging the funeral (both had no idea about the other)

And to conclude

Big big boss tells me to authorise his time sheets till end of his contract about 12 weeks - not a bad gesture

Boss - went ape tulip, that I was putting in his time sheets for a dead man - how dare I - he did a complete 180 when I told him his boss authorized it and said it was the best thing to do under the circumstances

And finally

We find out by accident 9 months later the scumbag agents had not pass the extra 12 weeks money to the dead mans account

Comment

Originally posted by AJ1982 View Post
          Sat here, streaming cold, can barely concentrate due to the coughing/sneezing . Gotta muddle on through, been contracting 2 1/2 years now, never been unavailable because of illness, there is no such thing for contractors. I just keep thinking of the extra day I can invoice for at the end of the month, and that keeps me going!!!

Sorry, no point or question in this post, just felt saying it, or winging.

Yes, I have checked my contract and my accountant does say its ok to do (!)

I really despair of this attitude. It isnt clever and it isnt professional.

There's nothing professional about just turning up and not delivering your full concentration. Too many contractors think its some kind of badge of honour to turn in when sick, muddle through the day and not deliver. Oh but they can at least take comfort in billing for the day.

Sorry, its unprofessional.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Something pretty contagious - that's why they send the project tea boy to go and get the laptop
            Funnily enough he sent me because he could not remember the names of the Dutch people in the room despite working with them for 6 months, he knew who his team was, but could never match the name with the face

Comment

We find out by accident 9 months later the scumbag agents had not pass the extra 12 weeks money to the dead mans account
              The only good agent is a ....

Comment

Never forget the day a contractor dropped down unconscious one Monday morning in the office, we thought he was a goner - rushed off in ambulance full blues and twos - back at his desk at 3pm and worked till 10pm to make up his time

Or the time at RBS in Amsterdam, a contractor snuffed it during the night, on hearing the sad news next day the program director called us into the office and 'hand on heart he said'

I've got some terrible news, 'bob' stuffed it last night, we need a replacement fast, but might be difficult with no hand over. 'Tarbie' can you pop round to his hotel and get his laptop back we can use it this afternoon !!

Has someone told his wife I asked,

boss - hope so I texted the agency last night he was dead
                You talk so much sh1t. You even talk sh1t about sh1t (Liverpool car incident)

Can't believe a word you say.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Contract abroad 10 years ago
                  Got married in the morning was back at my desk 12:30 so could still invoice half a day

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    You talk so much sh1t. You even talk sh1t about sh1t (Liverpool car incident)

Can't believe a word you say.
                    Are you coming on to me ? Is this northern chat up lines ?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                      Sounds like me.

After 3 years I can barely remember the names of the Esteemed Customers.
                      Do you really need to remember the names of your food though?

Comment

Working...
                      X