• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sunrise care homes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Off to see one with mother this afternoon.

Anyone got/had an elderly relative in one? Any experiences to pass on?

Don't know about Sunrise particularly.

I did post a load of stuff about choosing a care homes somewhere in the depths of TPD a while back (at least I think it was TPD). Unfortunately I've had a drink and been to sleep since then and can;t remember either what I posted or where it was. So really not much use to anyone I'm afraid
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I don't know if this helps, and feel free to tell me to wind my neck in, etc... But if your Mum's not too loopy, you may still be able to get her into warden controlled sheltered accommodation. If you can get her in, she will be safe - and they will _keep_ them until they are nearly ready for a box party - they just won't take them when they're that far gone. It may help to preserve your Aston Martin fund a little longer.

HTH.

My Mum has managed a day care facility for the elderly/disabled for 30 years. I knows my apples.
      Last edited by Pamplemoose; 31 January 2015, 23:20. Reason: Justification.

Comment

Originally posted by Pamplemoose View Post
        I don't know if this helps, and feel free to tell me to wind my neck in, etc... But if your Mum's not too loopy, you may still be able to get her into warden controlled sheltered accommodation. If you can get her in, she will be safe - and they will _keep_ them until they are nearly ready for a box party - they just won't take them when they're that far gone. It may help to preserve your Aston Martin fund a little longer.

HTH.

My Mum has managed a day care facility for the elderly/disabled for 30 years. I knows my apples.
        Thanks. She is in warden controlled accommodation, they keep an eye on them, but they don't provide any care at all - she's having trouble with medication, not bothering to get herself meals, missing doctor's appointments, not bothering to bathe - that kind of thing, as well as being confused and forgetful. She's disabled, and she's been at her place for 20 years, but I think she needs a bit more now.

Comment

My Uncle looked at Sunrise but the concept was a bit too American and the costs very high.

Since then he has been through 5 other care homes will an average stay of 3 months each.

Costs are at about the £700 per week level for Residential care - South coast area. Sunrise was £1K+

He's long term stroke disabled but mentally very sharp and ex military. He finds the promises made by care homes are not reflected by actuality.

He finds the widespread use of agency staff who don't know the inmates very annoying, food often poor, and the homes are full of old people!

If your mother can complain for herself, all well and good. If not, keep a very close eye on any care home after the initial few days.

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
            My Uncle looked at Sunrise but the concept was a bit too American and the costs very high.

Since then he has been through 5 other care homes will an average stay of 3 months each.

Costs are at about the £700 per week level for Residential care - South coast area. Sunrise was £1K+

He's long term stroke disabled but mentally very sharp and ex military. He finds the promises made by care homes are not reflected by actuality.

He finds the widespread use of agency staff who don't know the inmates very annoying, food often poor, and the homes are full of old people!

If your mother can complain for herself, all well and good. If not, keep a very close eye on any care home after the initial few days.
            One of the things that I was really happy about was that they never use agency staff. But yes, still waiting for costs - I had 1K in mind - any more and it's definitely a no-goer.

Comment

Thanks. She is in warden controlled accommodation, they keep an eye on them, but they don't provide any care at all - she's having trouble with medication, not bothering to get herself meals, missing doctor's appointments, not bothering to bathe - that kind of thing, as well as being confused and forgetful. She's disabled, and she's been at her place for 20 years, but I think she needs a bit more now.
              I havent read all the posts as just off to work, but is she having a care visits at home? If not you might find 2 or 3 visits day would support her, plus they often will do things like accompany to appointments as a self funder she/you can specify what you want. Of course she would still have rent/bills so it may or may not be worth it. It really depends whether she has had enough of living alone or is keen to stay where she is. The crunch comes when someone is not safe at night. She is entitled to a social services assessment and if you're lucky you may get someone good (like me ha ha) who may have some useful suggestions. From April if she is paying for care you should ask for an assessment to start the clock running on the new ceiling for care costs. Be there if you can for the assessment visit as folk like your mum with mild cognitive issues often get under assessed by inexperienced workers who may take I'm alright dear at face value.

Comment

Originally posted by socialworker View Post
                I havent read all the posts as just off to work, but is she having a care visits at home? If not you might find 2 or 3 visits day would support her, plus they often will do things like accompany to appointments as a self funder she/you can specify what you want. Of course she would still have rent/bills so it may or may not be worth it. It really depends whether she has had enough of living alone or is keen to stay where she is. The crunch comes when someone is not safe at night. She is entitled to a social services assessment and if you're lucky you may get someone good (like me ha ha) who may have some useful suggestions. From April if she is paying for care you should ask for an assessment to start the clock running on the new ceiling for care costs. Be there if you can for the assessment visit as folk like your mum with mild cognitive issues often get under assessed by inexperienced workers who may take I'm alright dear at face value.
                Thank you - good advice. She's a bit anti care at home - it didn't really work out in the past (morning and lunchtime carers turning up an hour apart), but might be worth looking at again. It does look like I do need to get a proper assessment done.

... So when can you pop round?

Comment

One of the things that I was really happy about was that they never use agency staff. But yes, still waiting for costs - I had 1K in mind - any more and it's definitely a no-goer.
                  Have you considered an annuity that will pay the bills?

When my granddad went into a home, he was quite ill, and we took out an annuity to pay for the bills (or a large chunk of them). Because he was so ill, they figured his life expectancy was about 2 years tops so it wasn't that expensive. 9 years later, we'd done quite well out of it all

And to make it even better, as he got worse, he got more of his care paid for by the state - for the last couple of years, all his bills were paid by the state, which meant that his annuity went straight into his bank account for "someone" to inherit
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Have you considered an annuity that will pay the bills?

When my granddad went into a home, he was quite ill, and we took out an annuity to pay for the bills (or a large chunk of them). Because he was so ill, they figured his life expectancy was about 2 years tops so it wasn't that expensive. 9 years later, we'd done quite well out of it all

And to make it even better, as he got worse, he got more of his care paid for by the state - for the last couple of years, all his bills were paid by the state, which meant that his annuity went straight into his bank account for "someone" to inherit
                    Ah, excellent, that might be the way to go. I believe that they're calling me today to give me an idea of the costs.

Comment

Ah, excellent, that might be the way to go. I believe that they're calling me today to give me an idea of the costs.
                      As the main beneficiaries of his estate, my siblings and I looked at the costs and everything involved. We took the decision that it was better to pay a lump sum from the estate to cover everything, than to watch the money he'd earned and saved dwindle because of the care costs.

And because it was priced up when he was ill, we did very well out of it.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X