• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spread Betting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oraclesmith
    IF (time_since_last_played > decent_period_in_seconds) AND (credit_balance = 0) AND money_deposited THEN
    new_player := TRUE;
    END IF;
    Basically, with a few little twists, such as the depress time on the buttons, the order of the holds, the time between button presses, the speed of the money entering the coin chute...
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Easy on a webtulipe though. Just look at their login !
      It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
        That must be a lie - it should be a zero sum game and if the losers execute stops when they lose (and this is when you win), then their stop limit is pretty much your win limit. Of course they would prefer to make you believe that your wins are unlimited where as losses are limited. Yet another reason why it should be banned, good job that USA is doing the right thing about those pesky gambling companies.
        I tested a strategy against historical data with stop-losses at various levels and found that the effect of stop-losses was to increase your losses. It's logical when you think about it: stop-losses force you to sell when the market is down. They only make sense if you set them at a level where you are fairly confident they will never be invoked. Their job then is to protect you against extreme circumstances, not relatively likely ones.
        Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 18 September 2006, 14:10.

Comment

When I first saw AtW's post above, I thought he was saying that spread-betting is a zero-sum game. The spread-betters effectively provide a "thin layer" (to use a computing analogy) over the underlying share/commodity/bond/currency markets and related derivatives markets, so spread-betting is only zero-sum if the underlying markets are.
          Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 18 September 2006, 14:14.

Comment

For an interesting (and possibly wealth-preserving) insight into how the spread-betting companies really make there money, read all the way to the bottom of this blog.
            Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 18 September 2006, 14:19.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider
              For an interesting (and possibly wealth-preserving) insight into how the spread-betting companies really make there money, read all the way to the bottom of this blog.
              the same goes for most bookies, they offset any potential loss by backing or laying at longer/shorter odds over on betfair or betdaq
              whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

Originally posted by HankWangford
                the same goes for most bookies, they offset any potential loss by backing or laying at longer/shorter odds over on betfair or betdaq

Good one Mr. Hangford !
                Last edited by Andyw; 18 September 2006, 14:51.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                  That, in a nutshell, is how a one-armed-bandit works. (Incidentally it is the law that says it has to work that way.)

threaded in "I write the music for fruit machines don't you know" mode.
                  Threaded, you're talking tulipe.

Churchill - in "I used to work for IGT" mode!

Comment

Working...
                  X