• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Diesel drops below €1 in parts of Germany

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Who drives a diesel anyway, apart from taxi, van, bus and lorry drivers (and permies)?
    And people with lots of children - I know a contractor who has 7 (I think, it's hard to keep count)
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      And people with lots of children - I know a contractor who has 7 (I think, it's hard to keep count)
      I bet the permies he works with think he must be on an absolute fortune to be able to afford 7 (not sure whether you meant 7 cars or 7 kids, but neither are cheap really).
      • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
      • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

Comment

2 children now, never any more. I cannot understand how people go on to have another let alone 7!!

All n all it sounds like UK drivers are being royally shafted.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

60.5p a litre in Leeds, LPG of course!

Comment

Saw £1.10 at Sainsbury's and Esso yesterday
            and £1.12 at Tesco today

Comment

All oil based products cost the same throughout the world. Whether you are in India, China, the UK or Germany. It's an efficient market that sets the price.

The price at the pump varies because of differences in local taxation and policy. For example in some Middle East countries they basically give it away free.

In the UK tax accounts for around 65 - 80% of the price paid for at the pump.

So why does the UK government heavily tax oil? Well that's simple, because it needs to raise revenue to pay for all the services, salaries, pensions and welfare state.

Why does Germany tax less? I don't know. Germany is not known as a low-tax country, so presumably the Germany tax-payer is being clobbered somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post

Why does Germany tax less? I don't know. Germany is not known as a low-tax country, so presumably the Germany tax-payer is being clobbered somewhere else.
                In many countries diesel is taxed lower then petrol to help businesses amongst other reasons. So you might see unleaded being more expensive then in the UK, but Diesel cheaper. However new diesel cars are often taxed higher when purchased.

Comment

This freelancer working in Germany pays less tax than if he were delivering the same services in the UK. Currently just about 33% (that includes my health insurance). The same income in the UK would be well over the 40% bracket.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                    Bullmud. Even petrol isn't that cheap here. Best price for diesel i've seen around here is 111.9. Best petrol was 104.9. No way anyone is selling it 8p cheaper
                    No, sorry. I stand corrected. It was 112.9 and not 102.9

Comment

All oil based products cost the same throughout the world. Whether you are in India, China, the UK or Germany. It's an efficient market that sets the price.

The price at the pump varies because of differences in local taxation and policy. For example in some Middle East countries they basically give it away free.

In the UK tax accounts for around 65 - 80% of the price paid for at the pump.

So why does the UK government heavily tax oil? Well that's simple, because it needs to raise revenue to pay for all the services, salaries, pensions and welfare state.

Its around 60% in Germany and then you have 19% VAT on top...Diesel though is a lot cheaper than the UK although that might change shortly
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X