• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ending early when the work dries up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    a big tranche of work with the client may be forthcoming.
    This is what I would assume is the reason behind an extension after a completed project that coincides with a drop in work.

I would suspect they have something coming up and want you for it and don't want to risk loosing you to another contract.

Try to find out what's going on. If there is a big project on the way that they need you for and the inactivity is driving you nuts, you could probably negotiate some sort of retainer arrangement. It would be less money, but it would leave you free to work on a plan B/some personal training/professional research/short term freelance gigs.

Comment

If the client is laid back about web surfing, then help yourself.

Look for a system that needs upgrading and write a plan for it, especially if there is no cost. Get your boss on side and carry on. Don't forget to add it to your CV.

That is if the place and people are nice. If they aren't, get another gig or ask to go 3 days a week (to save them money).

Having periods where you do nothing is sometimes inevitable. The client probably realizes this. They need your services but the work doesn't always add up to 40 hours a week.

Comment

Most of it covered by others. If you can pull off WFH, make sure you are logged in to the relevant system Email/Work while you are "busy" with the missus/mistress!

Comment

Back in the early 90's in was common, especially in the banking sector, that people would complain to Computer Weekly about a lack of work in contracts. It was said then that the banks were just retaining good contractors for any new projects they had coming up and also to keep the contractors away from working for their rival banks.

I once was extended for 2 months after I had completed KT to the permies. I was told by the manager he didn't want me to actually do anything, I was just to sit around and help the permies (who were on another site) if they got stuck. I was happy with that although I couldn't WFH. I was able to work on Plan B, surf Jobserve and have nice long lunches just like being on the bench but invoicing.

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post

Sit it out the whole extension twiddling my thumbs. Safest option but I think I will go on a Falling Down style Michael Douglas rampage after much more of this.

I'd go for that one and then actually go on the Falling Down rampage. Have had several fantasies about it myself with various Saw film inspired gruesome endings for the various knobheads I've had to deal with.

Comment

Done a year of a contract. Has been ok, but I've pretty much completed everything that will need doing.

They have offered a six month extension and are eager for me to accept but there is only going to be dribs and drabs of work that needs doing.

So I'm coming in to an office and sitting twiddling my thumbs for eight hours day finding things to be getting on with. It's torture.

Been sending my CV out but nothing yet.

What's the best gameplan?

Just sit it out, wait for a new offer and quit?

Sit it out the whole extension twiddling my thumbs. Safest option but I think I will go on a Falling Down style Michael Douglas rampage after much more of this.

Turn down the renewal and sit down with them and discuss how I can do an orderly handover and who would be suitable to do the bits and pieces of work that will come up over the six months?

I want to make sure I leave them happy, all the work is covered and I have a good reference but I need to get back out working.

You will look back on this in years to come, and laugh. HA HAHA . HO HO.

probbly
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Isn't sitting there waiting to be given odds now sods by the client gonna look very much like D&C?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                  I once was extended for 2 months after I had completed KT to the permies. I was told by the manager he didn't want me to actually do anything, I was just to sit around and help the permies (who were on another site) if they got stuck. I was happy with that although I couldn't WFH. I was able to work on Plan B, surf Jobserve and have nice long lunches just like being on the bench but invoicing.
                  That sounds bl00dy brilliant. Id be having boozy lunches every day. Happy days

Comment

Thanks for the replies. To answer a few of the questions...

I've got so many plan Bs I could start a hive. It's a large part of the frustration. So much productive stuff to do yet I sit there twiddling my thumbs. I'm in the middle of a busy open plan office and while there is some plan B stuff I can do I can't just set up shop or openly surf job sites.

No working from home unfortunately. That would be rather fantastic but it's not on the cards.

Money wise I'm fine, not financially independent yet but there would be no worries for years. Talked to the missus and she's supportive of whatever I decide.

As for cutting back hours. I've actually done that for the past three months. I've cut back to four days a week, but (and this is just a peach) the renewal is only being offered for five days a week.

But having said all that I know what I have to do. Keep my head down, keep invoicing and looking busy, find the next contract and move on as soon as possible while making sure all the work is covered and everyone is happy. Now for the small task of keeping sane while doing this. What a life.
                    Last edited by DieScum; 17 January 2015, 12:26.

Comment

Now for the small task of keeping sane while doing this. What a life.
                      Mental strength is what separates the men from the boys in contracting. Working away from home turns a lot into alcoholics.

Boredom? Never! Turn a boring task into an interesting one- solve boring problems in interesting ways. Selling those solutions to the boss - that is a skill in itself.

Coping with boredom takes self discipline. That's another skill worth developing.

Comment

Working...
                      X