• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contract termination

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to sum it up

Manager’s head's on the chopping board so he thinks by getting rid of me it'll save his head. It's been suggested i leave so the blame can be directed at me, which I suppose is fair enough from his perspective but it wasn't anything to do with me. I've done the decent thing by saying ok.

Comment

Originally posted by liveforever
      to sum it up

Manager’s head's on the chopping board so he thinks by getting rid of me it'll save his head. It's been suggested i leave so the blame can be directed at me, which I suppose is fair enough from his perspective but it wasn't anything to do with me. I've done the decent thing by saying ok.
      your not working for the NHS are u?

Comment

to sum it up

So you'll probably never find work again in that sector. Well that's the way it works in the banks....

Comment

ft100

Comment

ft100
            same thing happened to me, except he never gave me the option he decided to make an exception out of me by telling me i did a good job in person, then sacked me infront of the whole office.

still affects me to this day, never been treated so badly in all my life. after i left my gf and i were both harrassed/abused by the IT department staff who had managed to get hold of my email and mobile numbers from the intranet.

this went on for a month until it finally stopped.

since then my view of IT in general has been pretty poor to say the least.

Comment

If you allow yourself to leave like this then you may screw up your future contracts, say what if they asked for reference from previous client? If I were I'd say this as firmly as possible:
              a) the client is entitled to give notice, which they are planning to - so its fine
              b) they will have to provide in writing assurance that the decision they made is in no way due to poor performance of you personally etc

This assumes of course it is not your fault. They clearly want to get rid of you, so the only thing you can do is ensure this situation won't prejudice your future work, 1 month payoff is a joke comparing to how much you can lose in a long run.

Comment

Originally posted by CaribbeanPirate
                Go postal.

Go crazy baby!!
                Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

To be honest I don't really see what you can do if they are following the T & C on your contract and getting rid of you with 4 weeks notice. I would have a chat with the boss and get him to agree to giving you a splendid reference when you have gone. I guess it all depends what he is trying to put on you.

The other option is to threaten to sue him for libel and prove that you had nothing to do with the problems by pulling up your e-mail audit trail/whatever other documentation you need, etc

Comment

Get legal advice

This is not the place to come for advice. You need proper legal advice. Any decent solicitor will give you an hour free and that should suffice for him to read your contract and advise whether your client can terminate on sufficeint grounds. Otherwise your client is in breach of contract and you could sue for damages. That would be a very career limitting move for him.

But if you have new work to go to then accept his offer since all you could sue for is your loss which would be zero if you had work to go to immediately.

Comment

It sounds like he's on-side and pretty vulnerable. This means he can be negotiated with. The downside is that it seems you've done the deal without consulting the experts ! The line is; you'll go quietly providing he provides a decent reference. It doesn't have to be glowing, just that you did a good job and the contract was terminated for economic reasons. If he refuses, don't go mad, agree to go anyway but make it crystal clear that you're not happy with the situation so you want reasons stated in writing - this hints at going for professional advice and they won't want to get embroiled in that. "Economic reasons" give you both a get-out-of-contract-free card, so it's well worth suggesting it.

Whatever happens, there is no chance of you staying because even if you win this time, they will find something else wrong with you, so take the money and get another contract. Depending on how long you've been there, this contract may make no difference to your ability to get the next one. You could always take up some ad-hoc direct work and get references from them instead. Obviously this is all just my humble opinion and the final decision is all yours. Good luck.

PS. As Harry mentioned, there is no guarantee of good advice from this board - and some is downright destructive ! Get yourself down to a good business lawyer.
                      It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Working...
                      X