• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The changing face of Bristol

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    I don't mind snotty at all, so I'll add Bath to my places to look into. Maybe Edinburgh too, it keeps getting voted UK's nicest city.

Which areas of Bristol are worth looking into?
    Stick to the harbour side and "Clifton" areas (Clifton being more a state of mind than a geography) for the upper echelon, but there are plenty of pockets of civilisation. Or do what I do and live in one of the many villages just outside the city; sacrifice an extra 20 minutes to get into the centre for an infinitely better quality of life, and save 30-40% on house prices: a 3-bed semi in Downend buys my five bed detached and 1/4 acre of land surrounded by Green Belt 2 miles outside the city boundary.

And while it's not London, there's a lot of money in Bristol so house prices and rents tend to follow suit. That said, nice townhouse for sale I know of in Bath. Four stories, various extras like a home cinema, nice location: only £4.25m...

But e'll aff to learn to spik proper Bristle, 'sno.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Perhaps step up with a move to Bath?
      It's a funny housing market round Bristol and Bath. I've found for a starter home Bristol is quite cheap. However, as soon as you want something nice, you actually get more for your money in Bath.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Stick to the harbour side and "Clifton" areas (Clifton being more a state of mind than a geography) for the upper echelon, but there are plenty of pockets of civilisation. Or do what I do and live in one of the many villages just outside the city; sacrifice an extra 20 minutes to get into the centre for an infinitely better quality of life, and save 30-40% on house prices: a 3-bed semi in Downend buys my five bed detached and 1/4 acre of land surrounded by Green Belt 2 miles outside the city boundary.

And while it's not London, there's a lot of money in Bristol so house prices and rents tend to follow suit. That said, nice townhouse for sale I know of in Bath. Four stories, various extras like a home cinema, nice location: only £4.25m...

But e'll aff to learn to spik proper Bristle, 'sno.
        I had looked into areas like Clifton, but they do seem very pricy. I was thinking more of middle class areas without any nasty areas nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
          I had looked into areas like Clifton, but they do seem very pricy. I was thinking more of middle class areas without any nasty areas nearby.
          Like any big city that's difficult, the pricy bits are pricy for a reason, but east of Clifton through to the edge of Kingswood isn't too awful - that's between Whiteladies Road and the A38. Otherwise either go North into Thornbury/Yate but they're mostly large dormitory estates, further east out to Hanham and beyond or Keynsham, which is near enough a suburb these days.

The serious dodgy bits are south of the city (Eastville is where they filmed Only Fools and Horses since Peckham was too nice) or close in to the city centre, like St Annes and St Phillips

Or get out of the city altogether...
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
          X