• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK told to pay £1.7bn extra to EU

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Or are Cameron and Gideon lying about the economy? I think its a bit much of the EU to do this, particularly at this time, but if the economy has improved to the extent that Cameron says it has, then this payment would not be too much of a problem. They have engineered a low pay economy in which too many people with jobs do not pay taxes and have to rely on benefits and that the slight improvement in the economy is not being felt by the likes of you, but is only felt by large multi million pound turnover companies who benefit from UK tax relief and contrived tax measures such as transfer pricing. These companies pay no or very little corporation tax to the treasury. This means the Treasury is facing a tax shortfall of at least a billion. to the EU, an economy isn't a success if the state isn't benefiting from it, maybe the EU are calling Cameron and Gideon's bluff?

(Apparently interest rates were meant to rise when unemployment fell below 7.2% but this din't happen because the Governor of the Bank of England knows that the unemployment figures are false, because he knows that people claiming JSA/ESA who are on workfare programmes are counted as employed when quite clearly they are not.)
    Spot on...
    Enjoy the "recovery".

Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      I realise it's hard to pay attention when you're screwing up your face and screaming "S'not fairrrrrr!" like a toddler having a tantrum, but those of you capable of reading sentences longer than a soundbite may be interested in this explanation of the facts of the matter: The Musings of @PMEblond: EU Budget

Or not; I know many on here aren't in the habit of letting facts get in the way of a good bluster
      Indeed:

We are being asked for €2.1 billion extra; the Netherlands are being asked for €642 million (I had to go to the Dutch press for that as the reaction was so uniquely UK-centric at first).

So that's a demand of €32 per person for the year from every Briton and one of... oh, 20% more than that, or €38 per person, from every Dutch person.
      And yet for the Dutch press it's just another day at the office. Meanwhile the British press is turning purple to the point of explosion.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
        "UKIP leader Nigel Farage said the UK had been "hammered again" while Labour said it was imperative that the European Commission must reconsider the "backdated bill"."

"But the government source said: "It's not acceptable to just change the fees for previous years and demand them back at a moment's notice."

Oh the irony!
        Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Well it's true, you can't apply retrospection on the one hand (which is a horrible principle) and then say it's unacceptable on the other, when a bigger force does it to you. It's just transparently obvious whining and shows a complete lack of principle, and it looks like the government knew about these "technical adjustments", anyway; it is the price you pay for goosing up the economy via QE (not that I am saying Labour would have done any better, quite the contrary.) Then again, these are politicians... so it's kind of redundant to point out the lack of principle.

The only upside to this is it will force the Tories to be on their toes and may further weaken Labour's chances, seeing as along with the Lib dems, they're very much in favour of the status quo and the idea of renegotiation alone, nevermind a referendum, is odious to them.
          Last edited by Zero Liability; 26 October 2014, 19:09.

Comment

I think that all those who fawningly support the EU should pay the tax out of their own pockets
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              I think that all those who fawningly support the EU should pay the tax out of their own pockets
              Dole doesn't count as taxable income, so you should be all right.
              <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                I think it works out at something like £30 per head so it could be charged at the ballot box when voting for parties other than UKIP.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                  I think it works out at something like £30 per head so it could be charged at the ballot box when voting for parties other than UKIP.
                  Is that per head of adult population, per registered voter or per actual voter?

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                    Would that be because kippers can't afford 30 quid?
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      Would that be because kippers can't afford 30 quid?
                      Nope they are intelligent enough to understand that money does not grow on trees.
                      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                      X