• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Being as people were bored and someone asked for a puzzle....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
    Depends. Which part of the goat is attached to the inflexible chain, how big is the goat, how long is its neck etc. If it's a very small field that I supposed it's feasible.
    You can assume that the goat is a particle.
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
      So, circle 1 in the field.

Given the mythical goat is tether at the inside edge then the length of the tether defines another circle.

However it is bounded by the first circle, so defines an arc.

So the question is

"What is radius of a circle which is centered on the edge of another circle where the overlapping arc is equal to half the entire area of the overlapped circle"

At least I think that is the question.
      So it is, and there is a formula for overlapping circles, that I CBA to look up but which involves a square root and at least one cosine. The intersecting arcs define an area consisting of two segments the triangular height of which can be derived from the radiuses.

At this point I hand over Bob to code up the solution.
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
        So it is, and there is a formula for overlapping circles, that I CBA to look up but which involves a square root and at least one cosine. The intersecting arcs define an area consisting of two segments the triangular height of which can be derived from the radiuses.

At this point I hand over Bob to code up the solution.
        He got back to me and said that the answer was "Helium" but when I tried running the program myself it threw an exception.
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
          Yes, that is the question. Or is it?

Tether needs to be > radius of the field otherwise clearly it would reach less than half the field area. It needs to be < √2 or clearly the goat would reach more than half the field. So somewhere between 1.0 and 1.4ish.

However the maths seems so impossibly difficult that it must be a trick question. Is the tether fixed to a single point? I'm not sure that was stated. Anyway, off to google now...
          Yes. I was looking at the ratio the wrong way round.

Root 2 looks like it might have been the right answer (it isn't).

The 4 relevant areas are 2 segments with a chord of length r2 (on circle1). An isoceles triangle with sides of r2 and an angle unknown. The final piece being a chord with length the base of the isoceles triangle (on circle2).

It will involve using a cosine and an arc sine.

Maybe I should have listened a bit more in my geometry and trig all those years ago when I was about 13.

Comment

Oh, inside edge! Didn't read it properly, thought it looked too easy.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Does this involve that funny old calculus stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post

The 4 relevant areas are 2 segments with a chord of length r2 (on circle1). An isoceles triangle with sides of r2 and an angle unknown. The final piece being a chord with length the base of the isoceles triangle (on circle2).
                I think there are just two areas? If you draw a straight line between where the goat's arc of nibbling intersects with the edge of the garden (a chord) you will have two segments.

I can't remember the formula for the area of a segment, but you can be pretty sure it involves pi and the radius, the radius of the garden is fixed, and the radius of the goat's arc of nibbling is what we are trying to find.

If only I still smoked I could draw it on the back of a fag packet (c:

Comment

Goat curry anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                    You can assume that the goat is a particle.
                    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Goat curry anyone?

There won't be enough to go round if it's a particle

Comment

Working...
                    X