• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Now fruit juice makes you fat.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    That is MF's testicle on a cocktail stick.
    That is just b0llocks...........

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
      The bit on carbs is relevant to why sugar (which is in fruits, albeit in small quantities usually) can keep you from losing weight. It's not so much that it makes you fat, as it is that the body will prioritise burning it over fat for energy, so it allows fat to stockpile. For some perspective on how much sugar is actually in fruit, there's this.
      That's true of sugar in general. Fructose is worse, it is metabolised directly to lipids in the liver, promoting not only fat gain but also insulin resistance. (As you ZL probably know given the link you quoted).

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Fruit juice will just make your teeth fall out.

HTH.
        And your poo.

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        Sugar is most likely to make you fat.

Fat doesn't make you fat. That's a common misconception.
        Yes it does. Fat and oil are hugely calorific. Olive oil has twice the calories per gram as white sugar for instance, butter is nearly as bad.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
          The consumption of more calories than calories burned makes fat. The consumption of calorific carbohydrate is converted into fat more efficiently than calorific protein, since it is already in a form ready for conversion.
          And I thought it was because one's mouth is bigger than one's sphincter. Except for OG of course. You could drive a coach and horses through his after the number of nights out at Kings Cross he has had.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            Fruit juice will just make your teeth fall out.
            I had my first filling ever a couple of years ago, and the dentist asked if I'd started drinking sugary drinks. I said "no, but I do drink lots of orange juice". He suggested always rinsing your mouth with water after drinking juice. He also said there was an increase in diabetes because of the smoothie health trend.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              I had my first filling ever a couple of years ago, and the dentist asked if I'd started drinking sugary drinks. I said "no, but I do drink lots of orange juice". He suggested always rinsing your mouth with water after drinking juice. He also said there was an increase in diabetes because of the smoothie health trend.
              Not sure about that last part; has the smoothie trend been going on long enough for significant data to be gathered? Adult-onset diabetes normally doesn't present until 40+, more often 50+ IIRC. Sounds like your dentist confuses himself with a doctor
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Fat and oil are hugely calorific. Olive oil has twice the calories per gram as white sugar for instance, butter is nearly as bad.
                True as a point of physics but quite oversimplified if it is meant to imply that eating fat will make you get fat more than eating sugar will.

1. in real life people who exchange sugar calories for fat calories tend to eat fewer calories, not the same number of grams.
                2. they have different effects on your metabolism, so the sugar (especially fructose) tends to get stored as fat, whereas the fat tends to get used as energy (this is only a verbal paradox, not a biological one). I.e. if you get most of your calories from sugar you get fat, and therefore become a couch potato (not the other way round as the sellers of sugar would like to tell you).
                3. the fat does not trigger the same insulin response and so does is not so likely to lead to insulin resistance.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  IMHO it is more likely to be because of the High Fructose Corn Syrup trend.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    True as a point of physics but quite oversimplified if it is meant to imply that eating fat will make you get fat more than eating sugar will.

1. in real life people who exchange sugar calories for fat calories tend to eat fewer calories, not the same number of grams.
                    2. they have different effects on your metabolism, so the sugar (especially fructose) tends to get stored as fat, whereas the fat tends to get used as energy (this is only a verbal paradox, not a biological one). I.e. if you get most of your calories from sugar you get fat, and therefore become a couch potato (not the other way round as the sellers of sugar would like to tell you).
                    3. the fat does not trigger the same insulin response and so does is not so likely to lead to insulin resistance.

^^^^

This. I've lost shedloads of weight following a low carb high fat diet. Yes, I have combined the increased fat intake with a reduction in carbohydrates and lots of running but there is no doubt that eating fat has reduced my overall calorie intake and I feel satiated for longer.

The bodies ability to fuel itself during exercise on stored fats as opposed to carbohydrates is something more people should look into imho. Paleo / LCHF eating is the way forward as far as I am concerned.

Comment

Pure 100% orange juice contains a fair bit of fructose; but cheap orange juice, especially the fizzy stuff, also contains loads of added sugar.

It's amazing that the Government is always on about obesity but lets manufacturers get away with selling this nauseating muck without at least taxing it through the roof.

Even many medicinal products like Rennies and liquid cough mixture also contain loads of added sugar. You'd think at least they would refrain from adding it!
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X