• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The unacceptable face of capitalism

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    If that's a valid argument, then it also invalidates the idea that the state must restrict the 'extremes' of capitalism. To what end? when different peopel have different views?
    No it doesn't invalidate the argument. But you are right that there will be different views (and interests) to navigate. How to navigate this depends on your political philosophy.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
      You have a remarkable propensity for stating the bleedin' obvious esp after I had already said it 3 times in the thread. The term you are looking for is 'avoidance'; if a tax saving is illegal, it's 'evasion'. I think you misunderstood my point about buying in bulk; the point that I was making is that being cash rich, you can take advantage of preferential terms by buying in bulk whereas the other 98% of whom you speak usually can't. Doesn't stop you taking advantage though? It's not about whether you shop at Lidl or take the leftovers out of the skip at the back of KFC.

Especially when since WW2, successive lying governments would have us believe contributions are ring fenced and targeted only at the NHS and pensions. The biggest lie of last and this century. I would have less of a beef about paying any tax if so much was not wasted or shared around money grubbing politicians and their friends.
      I'd still have an issue with it but at least then there would be a modicum of transparency to it, rather than a blatant rip off, not to mention the government's ludicrous sanctimony over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        It's not even a dichotomy you silly.

But... can you tell the difference between the investment of capital for a return and the selling of labour for a wage?
        Can you tell the difference between investment of capital for a return and the selling of a Big Mac for a profit?

I'm a contractor and I sell my labour. I also invest heavily to increase the future value of my labour. I'm a capitalist and I trade in human capital.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
          Can you tell the difference between investment of capital for a return and the selling of a Big Mac for a profit?

I'm a contractor and I sell my labour. I also invest heavily to increase the future value of my labour. I'm a capitalist and I trade in human capital.
          I'll take that as a no. Carry on as before.

Comment

Working...
          X