• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scientists acting like Priests

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Proven in that certain theories can be explained if multi verses exist

I am not an expert but I have seen text books with the proof but the actual calculations were a touch beyond me

:$

I.e all proofs contain assumptions. It's impossible to prove anything with 100% certainty (unless it's plain logic - like 2+2=4).

It's like dark matter - there are observed things happening in the universe, and a theoretical 'dark matter' solves a whole bunch of them. Therefore dark matter 'makes sense'.

It seems odd to describe the idea of a multiverse as 'faith', when those people calling it religious-like faith almost certainly couldn't even explain what a universe actually *is*.

Comment

Right, which would make it an hypothesis.

when those people calling it religious-like faith almost certainly couldn't even explain what a universe actually *is*.
      Indeed, invoking mystical entities that just raise more questions than they resolve.

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Proven in that certain theories can be explained if multi verses exist

I am not an expert but I have seen text books with the proof but the actual calculations were a touch beyond me

:$
      It does lend credence to the whole simulation theory of the universe, if true... but that is a big if.
      Last edited by Zero Liability; 23 September 2014, 22:20.

Comment

Working...
      X