• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Calling all Fanbois!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by administrator View Post
    Just been looking at how to get Doom running on my Macbook - any ideas? If it takes more than 2 minutes to sort I CBA.
    Oh that's nice. You are willing to spend twice as much time setting up a game than you spent on the CUK forums. :
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just been looking at how to get Doom running on my Macbook - any ideas? If it takes more than 2 minutes to sort I CBA.

I know this was only resurrected only to show you wicked the Touch Bar was with Doom on it but I am disappointed with the lack of more ram in the new models. I was going to post at the time this thread came up but posters with more brains than me pointed out the power consumption and heat generation and I wondered if 32GB RAM was ever likely.

I really do like my MBPro now I have got used to it. It gives me everything I need, powers two gert big screens, sites all set up locally so have killed a dev box at home and in the office. Do run a Windows VM but I neally have my email accounts (many fingers, many pies) working in other native sets up (nothing beats Outlook on Windows though) but a bit more RAM would be nice. Had messages the other day that I needed to shut some programs as not enough memory but I did have a lot open as well as a VM to just run Outlook

Solid bit of kit. I was a mac hater but now I like it a lot. Not enough to like the Touch bar though, or desire an iPhone. Although the camera on the 7 does look shiny...
      I used to have Doom on OSX, (the old Doom) it was a one click ported thing though I've not bothered for ages.

Most pissed off I can't get Tanks Of Terror running on Sheepshaver (macOS 9 emulator) on OSX, due to a CarbonLib error or something.

MacOS 9 was the snappiest operating system EVER, click open, wow! Pity it could barely multitask and complained about lack of memory even on a 32gb machine when running one program....

Comment

I have been a PC/windows man all my life - mainly because that was what i started on back in the day and all companies I have worked for have been MS based.

Have always been a bit against Apple purely for it's 'hipster' imagine not really based on fact!

Recently however I got a MAC book air from employer to go along side my new HP elite book 840.

I like the way a mac sleeps and wakes up very quickly and seems to use no power when in sleep mode - however I imagine any decent windows would do this now - I think what hinders mine is the security software.

I think maybe the mac user experience is slightly better but only if you get to know a lot of the shortcuts - which with Windows I do - so it is often the transition which is the challenge.

Having said all that I have no real technically demanding requirements since I climbed the greasy pole so cannot comment from that perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Oh that's nice. You are willing to spend twice as much time setting up a game than you spent on the CUK forums. :
          All things come to those who wait 2017 will be a good year as long as contracting doesn't get legislated out of existence tomorrow. I see some CUK investment on the horizon... The need to not cater for IE6 will hopefully make the next upgrade a less painful experience.

Comment

All things come to those who wait 2017 will be a good year as long as contracting doesn't get legislated out of existence tomorrow. I see some CUK investment on the horizon... The need to not cater for IE6 will hopefully make the next upgrade a less painful experience.
            How about investing in a couple of rounds at the CUK Xmas do instead?

Comment

Admin has spent money in CUK?

Hope he kept the receipt!
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

How about investing in a couple of rounds at the CUK Xmas do instead?
                I will buy drinks, definitely*! Looking forward to meeting you

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                Admin has spent money in CUK?

Hope he kept the receipt!
                First rule of contracting - always keep the receipt!! And pick up other people's when they have paid in cash too

*(one per CUK member from a selected choice on the menu)

Comment

I will buy drinks, definitely*! Looking forward to meeting you
                  Great. Another night of introducing myself, getting the disappointed face and the line 'you don't look like I expected'. Terrific. :|

Comment

Great. Another night of introducing myself, getting the disappointed face and the line 'you don't look like I expected'. Terrific. :|
                    Look on the bright side. You could be sas. Imagine having to turn up with a face like a Toby Jug that has been cobbled together in a Pottery class at a secure unit?
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I will buy drinks, definitely*!

*(one per CUK member from a selected choice on the menu)
                      Take your pick....

Comment

Working...
                      X