• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salmond "We can take Scotland in two weeks"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JustinTime View Post
    Yes, it should. 16 year old soldiers in this country are predominantly from the poorly educated under-classes. I have no argument with increasing the age of recruitment to 18, or beyond for that matter.
    I think it's one thing to stop deploying the under 18s to combat zones; that seems logical to me. But it's another thing to stop recruiting 16 year olds, especially those from the background you've named, for whom the armed forces might provide their best, or even only opportunity to get out of the sink estate and get on in life. They could start training in many roles as the armed forces need mechanics, cooks, nurses, firemen, logistics workers and so on, and I actually think it's one of the roles of the armed forces to provide that social function of giving people an opportunity to get a good job and training. Sitting in a classrom at school just doesn't work for everybody.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      I think it's one thing to stop deploying the under 18s to combat zones; that seems logical to me. But it's another thing to stop recruiting 16 year olds, especially those from the background you've named, for whom the armed forces might provide their best, or even only opportunity to get out of the sink estate and get on in life. They could start training in many roles as the armed forces need mechanics, cooks, nurses, firemen, logistics workers and so on, and I actually think it's one of the roles of the armed forces to provide that social function of giving people an opportunity to get a good job and training. Sitting in a classrom at school just doesn't work for everybody.
      Then employ them as civilians with a view to their signing up when they reach 18. You're not allowed to take out a loan at 16 or 17 (possibly different in Scotchman where adulthood starts at 16 /IIRC), but you can sign up to be a soldier, and to be subject to military discipline and military law.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        This is true, but is does not solve the underlying problem: poor education, and low social integration.
        Error 404: Signature not found.

Comment

Ah, the Malvolio stratagem ; so nice to see it deployed outside of a discussion on PCG.
          It's got more to do with the fact that I need to get some fucking work done
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
            He-he-he. Of course it does.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
              But once you're independent, you won't need to work, as you can ride your unicorn to pick social justice from the stars.

Comment

Originally posted by jemb View Post
                it drives a few too many, thankfully that generation is getting old. My teenage kids think it's all a bit sad. They see the world as a big open place. Nationalism they see as an old person's disease.
                It's actually the opposite so your kids are obviously listening to the Bitter Together stuff that you are spouting.

The recent opinion polls when broken down show that the over 55s are the ones most likely to vote no. The younger generation see the possibilities of a new start as a small independent country.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                  It's actually the opposite so your kids are obviously listening to the Bitter Together stuff that you are spouting.

The recent opinion polls when broken down show that the over 55s are the ones most likely to vote no. The younger generation see the possibilities of a new start as a small independent country.
                  One word: Ireland.

Comment

He-he-he. Of course it does.
                    So, you don't need to work then ? You on a giro, or are you a Project Manager ?
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post

The recent opinion polls when broken down show that the over 55s are the ones most likely to vote no. The younger generation see the possibilities of doing what the Irish did and will leave the country.
                      FTFY.

I had the unfortunate experience of going to Scotland for a funeral. It really was the direst place on Earth. I have also been to Ireland for a funeral and no matter what the weather there is always a great sense of occasion and fun attached to everything that goes on.
                      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                      X