• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salmond "We can take Scotland in two weeks"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    We're not the ones voting to become a new nation.
    True, but not, I think, the key factor.

A Yes vote has a huge moral standing but does not in itself create a new state. The new state will be created by an Act of the UK Parliament. And guess what that Act will say about the UK being the continuing state and Scotland being the new state.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      We're not the ones voting to become a new nation.
      Neither are we, we are voting to become an independent nation

Comment

I was listening to the radio this morning and for whatever reason the topic got around to the scots wanting to spend more on the NHS and other 'welfare' projects and that was one of the reasons they wanted to get out of the uK to have more control over this spending.

I think it was Darling who said that if the vote is no they will be able to spend more money on these projects - if they could raise the money to spend!

This seems to be a bit of the crux the yes campaigners would have you think that voting yes means you can spend more money on these things -- only if you have it though and that bit seems to be being glossed over.

Anyway back to the popcorn

Comment

Originally posted by JustinTime View Post
          For the thread...
          Is there anywhere where one can nominate you for a medal or some-such?
          My reward will be a Yes vote (so unlikely) as I have a little bet on Yes (and a gold position for when it all goes wrong).

Comment

Originally posted by jemb View Post
            .... but I have read Article 48 and 49 and read the EU views discussing the impact of a Scottish 'Yes'.
            The EU has been pretty clear. The RUK remain in, Scotland would be granted entry via Article 48 or 49 and would have to renegotiate its terms of entry.
            No one is suggesting that Scotland would not be allowed in, but it won't be quick.

Anyway there are elements of the SNP who might favor entry into the EEA and that's a perfectly valid position to take. The Norwegian model is one that Salmond used to favour.
            Lets just get our independence first. Everything else can be negotiated afterwards. We're a rich little nation and will be ok

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
              Lets just get our independence first. Everything else can be negotiated afterwards. We're a rich little nation and will be ok
              I don't think anyone answered my question - if you're so keen on shaking off the reigns and gaining independence, why do you immediately want to run into the clutches of the EU?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
                Neither are we, we are voting to become an independent nation
                Scotland is not currently a nation state so the Act of UK Parliament would create a new nation state.

Here's the view from the Spanish PM. To say it is probably posturing may be sensible. To say that there are no inherent risks for iScotland is a terrible folly.

Here’s more detail on what Mariano Rajoy, the Spanish prime minister, told the Spanish parliament this morning about how long it would take Scotland to rejoin the EU. (See here.) My colleague Ashifa Kassam has filed this from Madrid:

Rajoy has warned that it could take “years” for an independent Scotland to be integrated into the European Union, as all 28 countries would need to agree unanimously.

“It’s clear, as is explained in the treaties and has been demonstrated more than once by EU leaders, that if one part of a state separates, it converts itself into a third territory with respect to the European Community,” said Rajoy.

He noted that “they can ask to be integrated”, but warned that it would “open a process that could take years. In the case of Spain it took eight years.”

His remarks came in response to a question put to him by MP Aitor Esteban, from the Basque Nationalist Party: “If the yes campaign wins tomorrow’s Scottish referendum, will your government facilitate the integration of Scotland in the European Union?”

Rajoy said that he had spoken with representatives from the 28 countries in the EU. “Everyone in Europe thinks that these processes are tremendously negative because they generate economic recessions and more poverty for everyone.”

He added they act like a “torpedo to the vulnerabilities of the EU, which was created to integrate states, not to separate them. Strong states are what’s needed today.”
                Scottish independence referendum: Last day of campaigning before vote that could end UK - live | Politics | theguardian.com

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                  Broadly true, I think, and worth the risks if those risks are understood.

Because if you vote No (as looks likely), you're sure going to be screwed over by Westminster over DevoMax. They're dusting off the statue of Butcher Cumberland as we speak for Edinburgh Castle.

Either way, I think this island is never going to be the same again, and that is probably for the best. With risks of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    Scotland is not currently a nation state so the Act of UK Parliament would create a new nation state.

Here's the view from the Spanish PM. To say it is probably posturing may be sensible. To say that there are no inherent risks for iScotland is a terrible folly.

Scottish independence referendum: Last day of campaigning before vote that could end UK - live | Politics | theguardian.com
                    I'm not voting based on getting into the EU within 12 months or some such pish. There is a small chance we might get in right away but that doesn't bother me.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
                      I'm not voting based on getting into the EU within 12 months or some such pish. There is a small chance we might get in right away but that doesn't bother me.
                      And that's fine for you. But others are being tricked into voting YES as risks on EU membership and currency are being brushed under the carpet.

Comment

Working...
                      X