• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone thinking of sending your kids to private school?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I had any kids, I would. Maybe even look into that Montessori stuff.

Comment

That's what we are doing, daughter is starting at the local Montessori in two weeks, mainly due to lack of decent state schools around here. The good one has a catchment area about about 500 metres, such is the demand.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post

Duh! Private school. It's for people what can afford it

In answer to the OP, Bacchus Minimus has just come out of the private school system, and **** me it's a relief.

I wouldn't have had it any other way, and in all honesty he is a great lad of whom I am very proud, and he is just off to study a five year taught masters in Chiropractic, of which I am also very proud.

We've made some excellent friends from the "school gate", and have had some great times at regattas, rugby matches etc, but the Uni fees of nine grand a year are a refreshing pittance after boarding fees of around thirty!

Would I do it again? No. But then I am getting older and don't want to be tied to a desk, there are alternatives. Would I do it again if I was thirty again and could afford it? Yes, I bloody would, but bear in mind that you start going without the equivalent of a brand new vauxhall Corsa EVERY year, and finish going without the equivalent of a year old Porsche. Every year.
        This x 3

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        There are local comps (though most are now called "academies") and there are local comps.

Moving house may be cheaper than ending up at the former.
        Deffo this (wish we'd tried it)

Originally posted by eek View Post
        It is cheaper to move to an area with good schools, as you will get the money back when you no longer need them and move away...
        Yup
        Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        Use the money to move to an area with good schools. And/or go to church and get them into the church primary.
        This
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Would I do it again? No. But then I am getting older and don't want to be tied to a desk, there are alternatives. Would I do it again if I was thirty again and could afford it? Yes, I bloody would, but bear in mind that you start going without the equivalent of a brand new vauxhall Corsa EVERY year, and finish going without the equivalent of a year old Porsche. Every year.
          I'm looking at 10k each for prep school and 15k each for private day school at today's rates.

It's a huge amount, especially if you combine it with a tasty mortgage (ours is tiny - we live very modestly); I will do the sums and see how the land lies, but it really is massively compelling.

Regarding church. I am not a Christian, so that isn't an option.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
            I'm looking at 10k each for prep school and 15k each for private day school at today's rates.

It's a huge amount, especially if you combine it with a tasty mortgage (ours is tiny - we live very modestly); I will do the sums and see how the land lies, but it really is massively compelling.

One other thing to mention is that around my way a lot (and I mean a lot) of the private schools can't make the figures add up and are closing. It only take 3-5 children to leave and what was a profitable business is now making hefty losses.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post

Your children might want to be. Have you asked them? <- Genuine question.

Also, there are lots of priests, vicars and other 'believers' who have far worse motives for being Christian than just wanting a good education for their kids.
              Last edited by tractor; 31 August 2014, 10:07.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post

Also, there are lots of priests, vicars and other 'believers' who have far worse motives for being Christian than just wanting a good education for their kids.
                I guess if you're adamantly atheist, or a different religion, the church option isn't a goer. For most of us who were probably christened as babies, it's not too far a push.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  I guess if you're adamantly atheist, or a different religion, the church option isn't a goer. For most of us who were probably christened as babies, it's not too far a push.
                  Some Church schools take non-Christians but you need to be clearly of a different religion i.e. Muslim, Sikh, Hindu not atheist.

They claim it's to increase diversity and more closely represent the local community especially if there are a few Church schools in the area.

Personally I think it's to increase their brain washing as even if your kids don't change religion unless the people are completely evil they will think of Christians as "good people" for the rest of their lives.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post

Having been brought up in a bible thumping environment I would be extremely careful not to subject my own kids to similar.

I actively distrust some of these folks.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Duh! Private school. It's for people what can afford it

In answer to the OP, Bacchus Minimus has just come out of the private school system, and **** me it's a relief.

I wouldn't have had it any other way, and in all honesty he is a great lad of whom I am very proud, and he is just off to study a five year taught masters in Chiropractic, of which I am also very proud.

We've made some excellent friends from the "school gate", and have had some great times at regattas, rugby matches etc, but the Uni fees of nine grand a year are a refreshing pittance after boarding fees of around thirty!

Well said.
                      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                      X