• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

confused about pay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

confused about pay

Hi
    Can anyone out there tell me (a first time contractor who has not been paid yet):

1) Is a day rate a day rate only if you work 8 hours, and does that mean that if you have to leave at 4.30 to make it on time to the nursery and have 'only' worked 7 hours a day, you can't get paid the full rate?

I have been diligently and honestly filling in my time sheets, with lunch breaks and all (30 min here, 20 min there), which means that effectively, work hours are even less than 7. How is that handled? What is an 8 hour day? DOes it have to be an 8 1/2 hour day to justify my day rate?

2) What about travel expenses. I drive to sunny Slough from London every day, and am incurring substantial costs. Sorry this sounds profane, but do I get this reimbursed, partly at least?

As you can see, I've been too busy surviving the day at the Office to have the energy to work these things out myself

I would be very grateful if someone had any answers to these questions

cheers

newcommuter

Originally posted by newcommuter
    Hi
    Can anyone out there tell me (a first time contractor who has not been paid yet):

1) Is a day rate a day rate only if you work 8 hours, and does that mean that if you have to leave at 4.30 to make it on time to the nursery and have 'only' worked 7 hours a day, you can't get paid the full rate?

I have been diligently and honestly filling in my time sheets, with lunch breaks and all (30 min here, 20 min there), which means that effectively, work hours are even less than 7. How is that handled? What is an 8 hour day? DOes it have to be an 8 1/2 hour day to justify my day rate?

2) What about travel expenses. I drive to sunny Slough from London every day, and am incurring substantial costs. Sorry this sounds profane, but do I get this reimbursed, partly at least?

As you can see, I've been too busy surviving the day at the Office to have the energy to work these things out myself

cheers

newcommuter
    I'd forget the "and all", unless you're nipping out for fag breaks every half hour. Provided you do the work OK, and aren't too obviously away from your desk too often and too long, they probably won't give a damn, and if they do just jack it in after three months and find a less anal client.

Also, travel and accomodation expenses can be claimed (for up to two uninterrupted years in any given locality), and I'm pretty sure the same applies to commutes between home and a regular client site.

After all, as a contractor you're like a plumber who happens to visit the same site every day, _not_ an employee who happens to be paid differently!

Comment

If you employed someone to do some painting on a 'day rate' mutually agreed at 8 hours work a day on average over the period and found that that person was only averaging 7 hours what would you think?

The idea of a Day Rate is that you expect that there will be times when you have to nip off early to go to the dentists or pick the kids up but there will also be occasions when you have to stay late or travel.

the clue lies in the way it's normally worded as a 'Professional Working Day'.

Travel expenses - of course you can claim them off your Ltd / Brolly. Not off the client unless by prior arrangement.

I predict this will be the most positive and least abusive comment you get in response to your post.
      Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Hi, thank you for that!

So, once the timesheet is signed, that means the daily rate applies? And if so, why do they want to know about lunch breaks, hours, at all?

Sorry i'm still a little confused, I've never actually had to think money money money in this way, but i would just like to work out what i am likely to expect as a payment to avoid disappointment ...

Comment

thanks Alf W.

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W
            I predict this will be the most positive and least abusive comment you get in response to your post.
            Seconded.

This leads me to believe that CUK should recommend new users to post questions around the time when regulars are just too drunk to abuse them.

Comment

that's good to know. I'll stick to my choice of hour then.

Comment

Whatever you do, don't post from around 8am to lunchtime - people on here are particularly angry on here and just look for some ***ch to lash out at.

Thankfully we have got Chico here who normally takes most of abuse in the name of his boss.

Comment

Originally posted by newcommuter
                  Hi

cheers

newcommuter

Ooooookay ! There's not really enough info here to avoid assumptions, so first a few easy questions :-

1. What is your structure ? Have you set up a limited company, working through an umbrella, a managed company umbrella thingy, a sole trader or PAYE from a temp agency ? Or something else ?

2. Is there an agency involved between you and the end-client ?

3. Have you read, understood and signed some sort of agency or client contract (or even your own version)? If so, what does that mention about hours, if anything ?

4. Whose timesheets are you filling in ? The agents ? the clients ? your own version ? Who do you give them to ?
                  It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Right. Its almost 8am.

What a bollocks post. The way you are asking the question(which the other numpties above missed) was you asked about a fixed day rate as a contractor.

You obviously have a 'fixed term contract' judging by your questions. I assume you are probably covering for someone on maternity or something like that. You are through a temping agency, working in an office.

Yes, you are supposed to do the full day.
                    No, its up to you to get to work.
                    No, nobody owes you a living.
                    Yes, I would fire you if you kept turning up at 9.15 and going at 4.30
                    Yes, If I was a permie I would get pissed off and make a comment.
                    Yes, you are a temp, not a contractor.

Problem is ATW is a lazy blighter with only one contract at McD's to his name.

Sheesh.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X