• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If I gave you £50,000 - what would you do with it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    That's nonesense, I have plenty of debts which are gradually paying themselves off with very little if any interest being paid on them. In the meantime I am living and saving without the debts really affecting me.
    And tomorrow were the interest on those debts to suddenly increase by 10%. Could you say the same thing? Why take the risk?

This is where my IFA jumps for my throat. You don't make long term decisions based on the short term conditions. From the man on the street all the way to parliament this is now our economy is run. Steady as she sails with no foresight for the incoming tsunami.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      And tomorrow were the interest on those debts to suddenly increase by 10%. Could you say the same thing? Why take the risk?

This is where my IFA jumps for my throat. You don't make long term decisions based on the short term conditions. From the man on the street all the way to parliament this is now our economy is run. Steady as she sails with no foresight for the incoming tsunami.
      Even at 10% i would not be worried, but the way I manage debt means I am not expecting to ever pay anywhere near that.

Comment

Even at 10% i would not be worried, but the way I manage debt means I am not expecting to ever pay anywhere near that.
        I'm amazed how fashionable debt has become.

Did you know negative numbers did not exist until a couple of hundred years ago. The Greeks had no need for them because they were only concerned with geometry. The American indians were the first to introduce negative numbers because they needed a way to record debt from asset.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Then you would use your savings to pay off the debts.

It's a stupid contractor who puts all their income into paying off debts including mortgages, because when you are benched you can't rely on your lenders to give some of it back!
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

It's a stupid contractor who puts all their income into paying off debts including mortgages, because when you are benched you can't rely on your lenders to give some of it back!
            Happy to be different.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Well said, why can't I take advantage of debt while it is cheap/free? I am building up savings so can always pay most of them off in case of an emergency, that and being able to invest it to get more back than the debt costs....

Comment

Happy to be different stupid.
                Good for you.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Well said, why can't I take advantage of debt while it is cheap/free? I am building up savings so can always pay most of them off in case of an emergency, that and being able to invest it to get more back than the debt costs....
                  What debt costs less than the savings rates currently on offer?

Investing with money that's not yours - my wee free upbringing could never allow it.

Comment

If I gave you £50,000 - what would you do with it?

What debt costs less than the savings rates currently on offer?

Investing with money that's not yours - my wee free upbringing could never allow it.
                    Plenty of credit cards online offering fees of under 1.5% for nearly 3 years interest free. You do the maths. And who said it would be savings? You have lots of other options for investment, if you don't take risks then you are never gonna make those big gains....

Comment

Plenty of credit cards online offering fees of under 1.5% for nearly 3 years interest free. You do the maths. And whoever said it would be savings? You have lots of other options for investment, if you don't take risks then you are never gonna make those big gains....
                      I prefer to make my gains through employment rather than speculation I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                      X