• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

hotmail through the firewall?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok gents loads of good ideas but not much i can do right now on site and three days from home visit...
    Anything more immediate i can do?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

Originally posted by kramer
      ok gents loads of good ideas but not much i can do right now on site and three days from home visit...
      Anything more immediate i can do?

Use an internet cafe?

If you can get to hotmail some other way outside of the office you could set it up to forward all your hotmail mail to an address you can actually get at.

If there is someone at home that you trust to give access to your hotmail account you could get them to do it or just forward anyhting outstanding to you manually.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Get a smartphone to browse internet. Nokia N80 is good choice, but I'm waiting for the SE P990i which is about to get released in the next couple of days...
        Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Flubsters right. Your client does this for a reason and you should respect this. If you need access to hotmail then you should open your own channel to the interweb entirely off the clients infrastructure...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flubster
            Get a smartphone to browse internet. Nokia N80 is good choice, but I'm waiting for the SE P990i which is about to get released in the next couple of days...
            OK if you're working in your country of residence. Otherwise you'll need an unlocked phone (costly) and a pay-as-you-go SIM (subscriptions only available to residents in most countries) which is also costly for data.

Or use your hotel's wifi...

speaking of which, does anyone know a good site that lists hotels with free wifi, in EU countries? Many hotels say on the web "internet access" but it means 12.50€/day. Or pay by credit card at 5€/half-hour. Last bastion of we've-got-you-by-the-short-and-curlies.

PS agree with Ratewhore, subverting the client's firewall policy is not merely a technical issue.
            Last edited by expat; 6 September 2006, 11:32.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
              OK if you're working in your country of residence. Otherwise you'll need an unlocked phone (costly) and a pay-as-you-go SIM (subscriptions only available to residents in most countries) which is also costly for data.

Or use your hotel's wifi...

speaking of which, does anyone know a good site that lists hotels with free wifi, in EU countries? Many hotels say on the web "internet access" but it means 12.50€/day. Or pay by credit card at 5€/half-hour. Last bastion of we've-got-you-by-the-short-and-curlies.
              Or use some foresight and get this sorted before you go to client site...

Comment

Originally posted by Flubster
                Or use some foresight and get this sorted before you go to client site...
                You mean tell the client: no internet, no deal?

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                  You mean tell the client: no internet, no deal?
                  Eggsactly!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
                    Flubsters right. Your client does this for a reason and you should respect this. If you need access to hotmail then you should open your own channel to the interweb entirely off the clients infrastructure...

behave
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

Setup your home/hotel PC as a Terminal Server...
                      RDP connection from client site (can be on different port if they block RDP 3389)...
                      Voila...
                      The rest is silence...

Comment

Working...
                      X