• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax Investigations....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andyw
    And what do you owe the tax man then Mr Tax Exile big shot ?
    I owe him nothing. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Blair, you cannot reach me now,
    No matter how you try,
    Goodbye cruel Labour,
    Your end is nigh.

International Talk Like a Pirate Day

Comment

But you cant say a figure of what the taxman says you owe can you !

and a small flat in the west end is not a good amount !

Comment

--------------------
        deleted
        --------------------

I was going to state a rough figure, but I thought better of it as it could be used against me.

All things are relative. What you could do with amount x in 2000 is different to what you can do with the same amount today. Hence the comparison with house prices.
        Blair, you cannot reach me now,
        No matter how you try,
        Goodbye cruel Labour,
        Your end is nigh.

International Talk Like a Pirate Day

Comment

not good enough !

if you put 'without Prejudice' it cant be used in court against you !

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
            If he was a plumber and got done for 28k he is either flush and hasn't bothered paying his tax and can afford it or is very very stupid and didn't take enough untraceable cash in hand

plumber, flush - very witty.

he probably went round the bend because he couldnt crack the cistern.

I'll get me coat

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

A mate, a builder, was in a partnership but unbeknown to him the partner hadn't been paying VAT properly. My mate's share of the bill was 40 grand, he had to take out a new mortgage to pay it.

Comment

Same as it's always been. Revenue tend to be more relaxed, as long as you are not obviously taking the piss. Annoy the VAT man at your peril. They tend to take it personally.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

but more ruthless these days !

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                    Surely this is not true - I thought there was a law which would basically state that pretty much only unpaid tax (if any) can be levied plus some extra fine on top, but nothing unreasonable, ie not £1000 fine for £100 unpaid tax.
                    It's not true.

The maximum penalty is 100% of the tax due.

And you have to do something really bad to get 100%.
                    Simple negligence 'with coperation' is going to get a 20-30% penalty.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
                      The maximum penalty is 100% of the tax due.
                      ok fair play - but at least it means that they can't slap you with £1000 fine if (say) alleged unpaid tax is £10?

If that's the case then Blaster's comment - "This is quite normal, if you get selected for investigation each little mistake is subject to a minimum £1000 penalty (or something like that), for example a receipt that can't be justified etc."

is not correct.

Comment

Working...
                      X