• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Most illiterate Phishing email ever....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most illiterate Phishing email ever....

Just got this today, I don't get it at all...

Subject is Fiscal Activity IRS N745088037

Dear Member.

Here is a reoprt on your early 2014 Fedreal Tax reutrn report.
    Kindly download the attachment to view your report and start filling for 2014 return as early as second week of July.

Thanks - Intrenal Revenue Sevrice
    16/22 Grosvenor Square
    London W1K 6AH
    United Kingdom
    Tel.Fax.: [44] (207) 637-8739
    More poor spelling than you can shake a stick at, and an attachment which I will open in a sandboxed VM tmrw just to see....

As if the IRS would sign off with 'Thanks'. It's even too late for July....

Keep us informed.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      I'm sure I remember getting one a while ago which began "Dearest, I am writing to inform you that Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs have awarded you a tax refund..."

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Just got this today, I don't get it at all...

Subject is Fiscal Activity IRS N745088037

More poor spelling than you can shake a stick at, and an attachment which I will open in a sandboxed VM tmrw just to see....

May be an urban myth, but I read somewhere that some phishing emails are deliberately poorly written, the bizarre logic being that reasonably intelligent and questioning people would see through it and ignore, but less literate and diligent people would be easier to fleece.
        For example, more likely to give you their sort codes and account numbers in order for you to "give them a refund".

Comment

EA, you may just have answered what's been bugging me for some time:-
          why some come with a reasonable title, but then have a random word appended.

'Claim your tax rebate, reasonably'
          'Clain........., presumably' etc.
          Ta.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            I'm sure I remember getting one a while ago which began "Dearest, I am writing to inform you that Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs have awarded you a tax refund..."
            In fairness, HMR&C are trying to be friendlier to their "customers" these days.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
            X