• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Better anywhere else

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Emperor Dalek
    Vows.

(_o_)

Still, better than being dead.
    And if it was more like this: (_O_) ?

Comment

Remember, if the accident isn't your fault then the debt falls on the person whose fault it is, not you.
      Only if you can afford the lawyer to take the case to court to prove it wasn't your fault...
      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Because it's nothing to do with the retailer, that's why. You are advocating the sort of system we have where the hard of thinking have no conception of what taxes they are paying.

No I am advocating an all inclusive price (if they want to do a tax breakdown that's their choice). paying 22.14 for something advertised as 19.99 is silly, just stick 22.14 on it ffs!
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
          You don't go to buy a pair of jeans here at £x then have to pay whatever on top. Why dont they include it in the price?

re 7.5 % tax, I really can't belive that, unless it's a fiddle. According to the IRS the rate bands are: 15, 25, 28,33 and 35 plus a fixed amount

If taxable income is over-- But not over-- The tax is:
          $0 $7,550 10% of the amount over $0
          $7,550 $30,650 $755 plus 15% of the amount over 7,550
          $30,650 $74,200 $4,220.00 plus 25% of the amount over 30,650
          $74,200 $154,800 $15,107.50 plus 28% of the amount over 74,200
          $154,800 $336,550 $37,675.50 plus 33% of the amount over 154,800
          $336,550 no limit $97,653.00 plus 35% of the amount over 336,550
          What you've left out is the personal allowances. When I worked out in Chicago, about 12 years ago, my "head of household" allowance was IIRC about $10,000, plus I got $5000 allowance for each dependant adult (wifey), and a further allowance for each child , my total tax allowance was about $18000 - 20000 - about half my salary at the time. In addition, there were all sorts of "per diem" and rent allowances that you could claim for up to 2 years after you "moved to find work", plus allowances for interest payments on mortgages (they had just stopped allowing you to claim back credit card interest when we got there). I initially went out to work on contract for Apple in California, before the move to permiedom in Chicago, and, by claiming all the allowances, I was legally taking home about 90% of what I was paid.

On the down side, you can end up paying Federal, State AND Local income tax (and other deductions - depending on the state/ county).

And $1 does pretty much buy what £1 does in this country (or did when I was there).
          Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Originally posted by hattra
            What you've left out is the personal allowances. When I worked out in Chicago, about 12 years ago, my "head of household" allowance was IIRC about $10,000, plus I got $5000 allowance for each dependant adult (wifey), and a further allowance for each child , my total tax allowance was about $18000 - 20000 - about half my salary at the time. In addition, there were all sorts of "per diem" and rent allowances that you could claim for up to 2 years after you "moved to find work", plus allowances for interest payments on mortgages (they had just stopped allowing you to claim back credit card interest when we got there). I initially went out to work on contract for Apple in California, before the move to permiedom in Chicago, and, by claiming all the allowances, I was legally taking home about 90% of what I was paid.

On the down side, you can end up paying Federal, State AND Local income tax (and other deductions - depending on the state/ county).

And $1 does pretty much buy what £1 does in this country (or did when I was there).

Why did you leave?
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Well

Where I work one permy has come over from Chicago to live here. Reckons he got +/- £10K payrise but is starting to think that he would STILL be better off in Chicago, and have more disposable income.

As some people have said here, it appears to be nearly a 1:1 conversion on many consumer goods so what costs $1 there costs a quid here

Except rent of course where he reckons that he was renting a 2 bed loft conversion in downtown Chicago in a good area for $800 / month.

Try find anywhere decent in London inside zone 4 for £400
              There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
                No I am advocating an all inclusive price (if they want to do a tax breakdown that's their choice). paying 22.14 for something advertised as 19.99 is silly, just stick 22.14 on it ffs!
                Thats sorta like right up there with paying £35 for an airfare advertised at 99p

Mailman

Comment

Working...
                X