• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Poofters Froth Wyoming Plans Ahead

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    30k to buy a new flat what is this the 1970's ????
    In the end she got over £80k in compensation, and she now lives with her son.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      If you're an athlete is there much point bothering with an international competition where all the best nations aren't invited?
      Yes; firstly, many of the 'best nations' WILL be there in many sports; commonwealth countries like Jamaica, Kenya and so on in Athletics, NZ and Australia in the cycling and so on. They might not all send their strongest teams or their best known athletes, but that might actually be a good thing for younger athletes who are gaining experience at or close to the highest level; an up and coming English or Scottish athlete gets to compete against up and coming Kenyans, Jamaicans and so on who will be his competitors in world champs or olympics in a few years time.

International tournaments are an experience in themselves with the intensity of competition and all the athletes living in close quarters during the competition, so it's worthwhile for them to get that experience before going off to the olympics or world champs in their sports; some sportspeople have all the talent and do all the training but are overwhelmed when they reach the world stage and never reach their potential; this is a step up. So it's not a pointless exercise at all for many athletes although I can imagine that for the fans it's a little strange.

My advice to those who don't like sport or don't see the point of it; don't watch it and don't whine about it.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Yes; firstly, many of the 'best nations' WILL be there in many sports; commonwealth countries like Jamaica, Kenya and so on in Athletics, NZ and Australia in the cycling and so on. They might not all send their strongest teams or their best known athletes, but that might actually be a good thing for younger athletes who are gaining experience at or close to the highest level; an up and coming English or Scottish athlete gets to compete against up and coming Kenyans, Jamaicans and so on who will be his competitors in world champs or olympics in a few years time.

International tournaments are an experience in themselves with the intensity of competition and all the athletes living in close quarters during the competition, so it's worthwhile for them to get that experience before going off to the olympics or world champs in their sports; some sportspeople have all the talent and do all the training but are overwhelmed when they reach the world stage and never reach their potential; this is a step up. So it's not a pointless exercise at all for many athletes although I can imagine that for the fans it's a little strange.

My advice to those who don't like sport or don't see the point of it; don't watch it and don't whine about it.
        Well, I understand how it can be worthwhile to the athletes for the reasons you have outlined above but that doesn't mean it merits blanket media coverage for the next 2 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by zoco View Post
          Well, I understand how it can be worthwhile to the athletes for the reasons you have outlined above but that doesn't mean it merits blanket media coverage for the next 2 weeks.
          Well complain to the meejah then.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            The only place I saw any of the World Cup was on the TV in the chip shop. Which bit of "Don't watch it" is so hard to achieve?
            I managed to avoid it quite easily.

Though I did stick the headphones on when the neighbours started to get excited.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by zoco View Post
              Not in Euroland it won't I wonder if there will be a big UKIP turnout as they're all for the Commonwealth
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

So it's a bit of a jolly for the privileged few at tax payers expense. Fair enough.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  So it's a bit of a jolly for the privileged few at tax payers expense. Fair enough.

Comment

Working...
                  X