• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent stand-off over extension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent stand-off over extension

I expect Im not the first and won't be the last. But another example of agent tricks....

Client tried to get extension sorted weeks ago. Discussed a few things I wanted to talk about re: contract with agent.

Few days later email arrives with new contract. Nothing about what we discussed - same old contract. Since then no replies to emails, never available when I call, never calls me back.

Another contractor here had the same. His was two weeks before me. Agent did the same thing - contractor gave up and just showed up on site. Of course, at that point its implied he has accepted the new extension.

Obvious what the agent is doing. Why get into a discussion when you can ignore.

Strikes me as a bit risky though by agent. As far as client is concerned its all done and dusted weeks ago, but the reality is I've not committed yet. Nothing stopping me getting another gig and walking out on Friday.

I guess that'd be a conversation the agent wouldn't want to have with client as to why this wasn't sorted weeks ago. Especially if they asked and I said I'd been forced to look because contract had not been finalised.

Although at end of the day, client would suffer, and I'd be the one to look bad I guess.... Always the same....
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Walk to another gig.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Why are you discussing your contract with the agent with the client? Agents are not willing to change their contracts as it would require legal review and adds a risk they maybe exposed to something so they will just stick to their tried and tested solution.

Fancy giving us a clue what it is about the contract you need changing...

You don't need an agent to make you look bad BTW.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

How important for you are the contract amendments? If they are just a minor tweaks and you like the role - suck it up, if not - stand your ground and walk out if necessary.

You had 2 weeks advance warning from the debacle the other contractor went through, why didn't you start nagging the agent earlier?
        Does the client have another preferred agency, that you can switch to?

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Walk to another gig.
          Well, of course, during this time I've been keeping my options open and seeing what else is around but nothing definite yet. I dont want to end up with bugger all.

Trouble is like I said, its Wednesday today, even though I could, I can hardly stroll into client on Friday and say, BTW, I've decided not to renew so wont be in monday.

Might be agencies fault for fannying around but it would leave them in the lurch which is a little unfair on them. And can guarantee that ultimately I would be the one who looks bad because the agency would lie to them and blame me.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Why are you discussing your contract with the agent with the client? Agents are not willing to change their contracts as it would require legal review and adds a risk they maybe exposed to something so they will just stick to their tried and tested solution.

Fancy giving us a clue what it is about the contract you need changing...

You don't need an agent to make you look bad BTW.
            I'm not. Not even mentioned it to client. Nothing to do with them.

Changes = Rate and notice period.

Fair enough they've got a right to say no - its a negotiation. But thats the point they're ignoring and hoping it goes away. They know it will if they can hang it out long enough.

Comment

Why are you discussing your contract with the agent with the client?
              There is nothing in the original post which indicates that he is discussing this with the client.

And if there is a likelihood that he will not extend because he cannot agree a contract with the agency, then it's common courtesy to mention that to the client so they can plan for a handover. You never know, they may even get on to the agency and tell them to pull their finger out because they don't want to lose the contractor.

Agents are not willing to change their contracts as it would require legal review and adds a risk they maybe exposed to something so they will just stick to their tried and tested solution.
              Every time I've wanted a contract changing, I've got the agent to make the change. YMMV, but it's called negotiation - a sign of being in business rather than just taking what crumbs you are thrown.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                There is nothing in the original post which indicates that he is discussing this with the client.

And if there is a likelihood that he will not extend because he cannot agree a contract with the agency, then it's common courtesy to mention that to the client so they can plan for a handover. You never know, they may even get on to the agency and tell them to pull their finger out because they don't want to lose the contractor.

Every time I've wanted a contract changing, I've got the agent to make the change. YMMV, but it's called negotiation - a sign of being in business rather than just taking what crumbs you are thrown.
                WHS

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Trouble is like I said, its Wednesday today, even though I could, I can hardly stroll into client on Friday and say, BTW, I've decided not to renew so wont be in monday.

Might be agencies fault for fannying around but it would leave them in the lurch which is a little unfair on them. And can guarantee that ultimately I would be the one who looks bad because the agency would lie to them and blame me.
                  If there is a chance that you aren't going to agree the contract with the agency, then this is the stage that you should be talking to the client - explain that you want to extend, but you can't even get hold of the agency to sort it all out. Prepare them for the possibility that you won't be in on Monday because if you haven't got the paperwork sorted, you wouldn't be insured if anything went wrong.

In short, get your side of the story in first, before the agency gets the chance to get their side out there.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                    How important for you are the contract amendments? If they are just a minor tweaks and you like the role - suck it up, if not - stand your ground and walk out if necessary.

You had 2 weeks advance warning from the debacle the other contractor went through, why didn't you start nagging the agent earlier?
                    Does the client have another preferred agency, that you can switch to?
                    Not a showstopper. If the agent spoke to me, we NEGOTIATED, and they said no way can do then its up to me to decide.

Its just the underhand, hide around the corner until the problem goes away crap that I dont like.

Comment

Working...
                    X