• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies won't take contractor if not a director

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still, this is indeed stupid - what about my employee (only one, so far), who I want to take on the job put forward by the agency?
    Do I have to make her a director??? That´s ridiculous!
    How about those of us, who want to grow our companies, and want to take on employees, so that EXACTLY we DONT have to do all the work personally, and can concentrate at least part-time on actually growing and managing the company?

Comment

Originally posted by Goldengirl View Post
      Still, this is indeed stupid - what about my employee (only one, so far), who I want to take on the job put forward by the agency?
      Do I have to make her a director??? That´s ridiculous!
      How about those of us, who want to grow our companies, and want to take on employees, so that EXACTLY we DONT have to do all the work personally, and can concentrate at least part-time on actually growing and managing the company?
      Take on the contract as company Director and sub it to your employee.
      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
        Agencies have to make sure that contractors are dealing with their taxes properly to avoid debt transfer. The Managed Service Company legislation (MSC - so yes, real) allowed for unpaid taxes to be transferred to a third party http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employment-st...nce-july07.pdf
        Given that the 3rd party next down the chain from the MSC will be the recruitment agency, you can understand the caution over the construction and operation of Ltd Company.

This was very big news 6-7 years ago!
        https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
          Given that the 3rd party next down the chain from the MSC will be the recruitment agency, you can understand the caution over the construction and operation of Ltd Company.

This was very big news 6-7 years ago!
          Ah yes the good old days

Of course recruiters have to be careful - and with the raft of new legislation that's come in even more so now. Plus it's been made doubly difficult for them as they also now risk financial penalty if they pick the wrong umbrella companies to deal with.
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Depends on how many contractors are part of that company. The 2008 legislation sought to outlaw 'Composite Companies' who were small groups of contractors all taking their money out as dividends. Effectively this forced contractors into using either their own 'Personal' company (PSC) or a brolly.

Not one of my companies but a decent summation of why an agency will require the contractor to demonstrate they control their company.

IR35 Overview and Advice
            Sorry Andy but why are you using advice put out by a small recruiter rather than the vast resources of your own group?

I doubt that there are many legit accountants presently accounting for Composite Companies (if any continue to exist in the freelance industry) which is why I am puzzled by an agency still applying the director/control test. I know of a few contractor companies that are owned and directed by a party other than the one doing the contract.

Granted, they are not multi person co-ops; more a case of an established contractor with a company doing a mate a favour. By your definition would they be breaking the MSC rules?

Comment

Originally posted by Taita View Post
              Sorry Andy but why are you using advice put out by a small recruiter rather than the vast resources of your own group?

I doubt that there are many legit accountants presently accounting for Composite Companies (if any continue to exist in the freelance industry) which is why I am puzzled by an agency still applying the director/control test. I know of a few contractor companies that are owned and directed by a party other than the one doing the contract.

Granted, they are not multi person co-ops; more a case of an established contractor with a company doing a mate a favour. By your definition would they be breaking the MSC rules?
              As I have said before, it's pretty old news and I simply couldn't be arsed to dig out our own information whilst sat in front of the TV. Thought I would impress NLUK by using a Google search.

Ultimately, as it is our commercial risk I will often look further into the company structure and take a risk based decision on the likelihood of a liability transferring to us as Lisa has correctly identified.
              https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Thought I would impress NLUK by using a Google search.
                For this alone...

I never knew that pimps had the mental capacity to have a sense of humour.

Comment

Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
                  For this alone...

It's in the same cognitive category as deceit and low cunning.
                  The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
                    For this alone...

I've met Andy several times and I can confirm that he does, without question, have several human traits
                    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                    X