• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SCC Feedback

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SCC Feedback

Hi All,

I am going for a contract with SCC in Birminghamm, or should I say I am thinking of doing so. In doing my research I came across this:
    SCC Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Having read the reviewes above from Permies I am very concerned and I am thinking maybe I shouldn't go. But keeping in mind the market and my need to work, I was wondering if some contractors from here have worked with SCC before and if they could offer some advice on SCC is like to work with. They have said to me it is a rolling contract going on for a longer period of time (not sure what that long period is), here are a couple of points from my side if they can be answered then it would be much appreciated:

1. Being a contractor and having worked all over UK in different areas, I have learnt not to be too bothered about the culture. However I have to admit that bad culture in colleague and management does at times affect me even though I try and stay away from the politics and internal going on. Having said that what sort of the working culture is like? I am going to be in a customer facing position.

2. Payment and contract extensions. Are they on time, have you had any trouble renewing or getting invoices paid? SCC's own agency SCR contacted me so I am guessing they will be managing the admin bit.

3. IR35, are their contracts from your experience, outside the IR35 or not. I shall be taking this up with the agency but wanted to get first hand opinion.

4. Working from home, I have been lucky that I have been able to work from home a couple of days a week and would like to carry on doing so. What are SCC like with this?

5. In my position I only need a lapotop with the standard Microsoft Office stuff (Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint, Word etc), I am not in a hardcore techi position. I am hoping that they provide some adequate equipment? Or do you bring your own. I would rather bring my own than work with sub standard stuff.

As you can see that the Glassdoor comments have me really in a double mind so I am very concerned. Apologies if these questions seems silly but I thought I would ask before I made any final decision.

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

Silentsteel.

I had the extreme misfortune to consider a perm gig with them a few years back, I can tell you everything on Glassdoor sounds totally believable:

Originally posted by silentsteel View Post

4. Working from home, I have been lucky that I have been able to work from home a couple of days a week and would like to carry on doing so. What are SCC like with this?
    I think I was lucky & had one of the more enlightened managers at SCC, he was happy for me to WFH on days I wasn’t at customer sites, even though the local office was only 20min away. All sites have hot desks & very few permanent seating arrangements, so it really depends on your roll & manager.

Originally posted by silentsteel View Post

5. In my position I only need a lapotop with the standard Microsoft Office stuff (Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint, Word etc), I am not in a hardcore techi position. I am hoping that they provide some adequate equipment? Or do you bring your own. I would rather bring my own than work with sub standard stuff.
    They will try to reuse existing equipment wherever possible, as a Consultant I ended up with a new ‘decent’ laptop and a used mobile and number. BUT, no mouse or phone charger & get this, they wouldn’t provide them, I had to buy them at my own expense.

I could send days reciting tales of woe, one other thing to consider:

Travel expenses: be very careful if you intend to travel for them, as an employee, breakfast is a complete no-no unless you stay overnight, the same with evening meals (I left a client at 6pm facing a 4 hour drive home, couldn’t claim a meal as I didn’t stay overnight). Make sure your contract or rate covers reasonable expenses.

I personally wouldn’t go back, even at above top end of my day rate, I didn’t come into contact with any contractors during my time but I’d be very surprised if you weren’t treated just as badly as the permies

PM me if you want more info

Comment

Hi Magpie,

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

Originally posted by Magpie252 View Post
      PM me if you want more info
      I have sent you a PM with my contact mobile. Hoping that we can chat, is possible?

Comment

Working...
      X