• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BoE contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BoE contract

I've been with my current client for just over 2yrs and I've accepted another extension on 01-may. I heard that they keep extending contracts here for a max of 4yrs (of course depending on work availability, my performance etc)

I've suddenly had an interview with Bank of England on Monday and the agent called me this afternoon saying they want to offer! Rate is the same as my current contract.

How is Bank of England for contractors? Are extensions fairly common? Would it be possible to work from home once or twice a week? What is the culture generally like?

Also, if I jump after accepting an extension, am I burning bridges? I really like the work culture at my current client so at some point I would like to work for them again.

Any relevant advice is gratefully received.

Erm. Which department? What skills set?
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

IT - Business Analysis

Comment

Mediocre

Comment

Originally posted by bluedrop View Post
          I've been with my current client for just over 2yrs and I've accepted another extension on 01-may. I heard that they keep extending contracts here for a max of 4yrs (of course depending on work availability, my performance etc)

I've suddenly had an interview with Bank of England on Monday and the agent called me this afternoon saying they want to offer! Rate is the same as my current contract.

How is Bank of England for contractors? Are extensions fairly common? Would it be possible to work from home once or twice a week? What is the culture generally like?

Also, if I jump after accepting an extension, am I burning bridges? I really like the work culture at my current client so at some point I would like to work for them again.

Any relevant advice is gratefully received.
          If you have found a place which keeps extending then my suggestion would be to stick with it unless you get a significantly better offer elsewhere. When current clientco know you and want to keep you on, a likely 2 years work is a lot better than a few months followed by a much less likely renewal as you would have to start from scratch building up the relationship. Even then there is much less likelihood of an extension as they may have the view to only keep you on a short-term basis (until project delivered or work handed over to permies).

Comment

I was informed at interview that I would be able to work from home at least 1 day per week, or when required - it never materialised in 6 months, though other teams were more reasonable with their contractors. There are some awfully self-important people there (in IT), and some amazingly decent people (in IT). Most contractors who are there seem to be happy there. It was a good place to work and it really all depends on whether you get micro-managed, or not?
            Last edited by Scruff; 14 May 2014, 09:25. Reason: paragraphing
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

If you are sitting on two jobs...

...then you are sitting on a pay rise.

Boo

Comment

Working...
              X