• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

same role different agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

same role different agency

An agency called me up about a contract - sounded enthusiastic but we did not agree on a rate and decided to discuss after a couple of days. Now when I ring them to negotiate so that I can get an interview - I can't get through. Not received any call from them either.

I see the same role advertised by a different agency as well. Is it ok to submit my resume to the other agency to get an interview?

Yup

Comment

Do it.

Comment

Rule of thumb: until a contract is in place, you are not beholden to anyone, nor under any obligations. Despite what pimps might try and tell you, a client isn't going to think you're an idiot if he sees your CV more than once from different agencies.

Comment

Originally posted by riffpie View Post
          Rule of thumb: until a contract is in place, you are not beholden to anyone, nor under any obligations. Despite what pimps might try and tell you, a client isn't going to think you're an idiot if he sees your CV more than once from different agencies.
          That's useful to know.

More than one pimp has told me that clients get ticked off with seeing multiple applications from different agencies (but then they would say that, wouldn't they?).

Also, one or two have asked me to state that I'm happy for them to have sole representation for my application for the role. Is that worth anything legally?

Comment

Originally posted by MojoDog View Post
            That's useful to know.

More than one pimp has told me that clients get ticked off with seeing multiple applications from different agencies (but then they would say that, wouldn't they?).
            Maybe someone has had a different experience, but most people are quite aware that looking for work is a bit of shotgun surgery, you aim and fire wildly hoping something sticks. Seeing the same CV more than once is pretty commonplace.

Also, one or two have asked me to state that I'm happy for them to have sole representation for my application for the role. Is that worth anything legally?
            IANAL but I severely doubt it.

Comment

It depends on the client - some will accept it as part of the market, some won't. The worst case is that two agencies then argue with the client over who gets the commission, the client wants a quiet life and bins the applicant.

I've seen it happen. I've also seen a client shoot down the agent because they had sent in a CV for someone unsolicited, and then when someone else responded to an advert with the same CV they went with the second agency not the first.

Yes, but probably not enough to really worry about financially.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Interestingly, the detailed job description sent to me by the agent during my initial interaction had the email address of the client. Can I not just ping the client directly to see if they are interested?

Comment

Originally posted by texto View Post
                  Interestingly, the detailed job description sent to me by the agent during my initial interaction had the email address of the client. Can I not just ping the client directly to see if they are interested?
                  Depends if the client always uses agencies or has a PSL. Most large corporations will.

Having said that, my best contract has been where I have gone direct with the client with no agency involvement at all. So, if you have an opportunity to get straight to the client, take it - after all, at least you know that there isn't a middleman to mess you around.

Comment

Originally posted by texto View Post
                    You certainly can.

Comment

Working...
                    X