• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV "Review" from The CV Site ([email protected])

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV "Review" from The CV Site ([email protected])

I got this bizarre "CV review" from The CV Site; they claimed I had submitted my CV for it.

Notice that nowhere in this "review" is there anything remotely related to the actual contents of the CV they putatively reviewed. It's all generic drivel.

Opening Statement

Score – 16/25

Overall assessment

Your opening statement needs to be more concise, focused and to hold more punch.

Areas The CV Site can work on:

Accomplishments/strengths/successes – this is your initial pitch, and since most recruiters read a CV in less than a minute, it’s crucial to get this right. This is the area to boast, sell yourself and grab the employer’s attention. At the moment, your opening statement doesn’t do you justice.
    Language/tone – the employer is looking for an impersonalised and concise description of what you have to offer him/her. To achieve this, the statement needs to be written as if from a sales brochure – short, snappy and to the point.

Layout

Score – 15/25

Overall assessment

Space could be utilised more effectively to make your CV more user friendly, easier on the eye, and to highlight major achievements and skills.

Efficiency of space – employers have limited time to pick out potential job candidates so the shorter the CV the better. This can be achieved with skilful manipulation of text without compromising on content.
    Presentation – it’s important to highlight key areas of interest to recruiters, so they focus on your biggest selling points as they scan through your CV. This can be achieved by separating sections more effectively and utilising bolds, italics and bullet points.
    Formatting – when an employer opens your CV, they want to see a clear and clean document. The CV Site will ensure your CV will be free from ugly formatting errors.

Content

Score – 15/25

Overall assessment

Your experience and skills are impressive, however at the moment, an employer could miss out on key factors that could clinch you an interview, just because of how your content is written.

Marketing yourself – you are selling a product, and the product is YOU. The recruiter has a list of requirements and you need to excel at communicating your ability to fill these requirements. Your current CV needs work to sell you more effectively. This can be achieved by highlighting major achievements rather than just including job descriptions of previous roles.
    Linking skills/abilities with achievements – employers want to know your potential ‘worth’ to their company. Ultimately, they’re looking for a return on their investment and currently you are not linking your skills effectively enough to emphasise their value to a future employer. After all, this is what makes you different from everybody else!

Language/grammar

Score – 18/25

Overall assessment

To be truly effective your CV needs to be written in the first person, be grammatically correct, include no spelling mistakes and avoid common ‘CV jargon’. Even though you’ve adhered to some of these attributes in your CV, there are areas for improvement.

Spelling/grammar/tone – this needs to be consistent and correct throughout the document. An obvious turn-off for employers is bad grammar and spelling mistakes. Plus, the majority of recruiters want to read a CV that’s written in the first person. We can iron out any inconsistencies while at the same time ensuring your content is short and sharp.
    Language – employers dislike reading a CV that uses common CV language, that isn’t focussed and not substantiated. The CV Site will ensure your CV is jargon free and that any sweeping statements are backed up with real life evidence.

Your total CV Score – 64/100

Congratulations! Your CV has achieved a Potential Success Rate score of 64%. But is this enough?

Overall, your CV could benefit from being professionally re-written to make you stand out from the crowd and improve your interview opportunities. Currently, I can see that your CV is not doing enough for you to achieve your goal of getting interviews. Your CV is unlikely to be performing as well as it should be on job board searches or automated tracking systems (ATS) that are used by most employers to filter applications.

The Office of National Statistics show that in the last 12 months the average number of job applications per vacancy has risen from 7 to an incredible 37! This means that there has never been a more important time to have your CV professionally written.

If you want your CV to secure you an interview in the current crowded job market, our expert CV writers have the experience, the skills and the knowledge to make your CV prominent and stand out from the competition and give you the chance to shine in front of employers.

Summing up and based on the information you have provided I can highly recommend our Advanced Senior package so why not have a look and see if this is right for you.

Eggs a bit too close to the beans, I might want to mix them but I want that to be my decision. Use a sausage as a breakwater.

Otherwise 16/25....

Comment

Originally posted by flipFlop View Post
      I got this bizarre "CV review" from The CV Site; they claimed I had submitted my CV for it.

Notice that nowhere in this "review" is there anything remotely related to the actual contents of the CV they putatively reviewed. It's all generic drivel.
      I've just searched my email and found that I had one from them last year. The score and wording are EXACTLY the same as the score and wording that you have posted here.

They haven't looked at the CV at all, it's just a standard spam email. Unless, of course, you've stolen my CV or I've stolen yours.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        I've just searched my email and found that I had one from them last year. The score and wording are EXACTLY the same as the score and wording that you have posted here.

They haven't looked at the CV at all, it's just a standard spam email. Unless, of course, you've stolen my CV or I've stolen yours.
        Yes same here, got one from them as well, exact the same wording

Comment

Have they bought the Saga mailing list?

"Advanced Senior" package. Sounds like something you'd get from a care home.

If they can't customise a mass-mailing spam email then I dread to think what they'd do to my perfectly innocent CV.

Comment

What do you expect dude? There is no such thing as free CV review.
            They would never say that your CV is good enough even if it is. It's all about convincing you that you need thier paid services.

You can find zillions of good CV templates on the net, if I were you, I wouldn't waste money on this...
            Last edited by gabox01; 23 April 2014, 19:25.

Comment

I scored 101/100 when they reviewed my c.v.

I just don't think any of you are cut out for the world of contracting.
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by gabox01 View Post
                What do you expect dude? There is no such thing as free CV review.
                They would never say that your CV is good enough even if it is. It's all about convincing you that you need thier paid services.

You can find zillions of good CV templates on the net, if I were you, I wouldn't waste money on this...
                I think you will find he was identifying an unsolicited advert based on a bovine excremental "review" of a CV they hadn't even looked at and had the credibility of a stage mind readers act..... Dude?

Comment

I wonder how they would score a CV that they themselves had previously done then found somewhere with the name changed
                  This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

I received one similar to this, and I couldn't stop laughing when they mentioned it needs to be in third person, when it already is.

Comment

Working...
                    X