• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Struggling to get to an interview...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    So does the OP need more certs? Which ones?
    Keys 101 - radiators
    Roman history 101 - Live Entertainment for the masses
    Food condiments 102 - testing Chutney
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by misterpingu View Post
      I hire a lot of devs. Unless I knew you or someone I trusted knew you - you wouldn't get a second look - 4 years experience for a java dev isn't enough - it took me 3 years to get my training wheels properly off and 7 before I could run. Sure, there are people who can smash it in 6 months - 1 year and they stand out so much that they never need look for work, it finds them.

Keep plugging away whilst doing your permie job and you may get a contract, but I'd have an eye on the longer term, you are more likely to start hearing things back once you've got 5-6 years.

EDIT - actually , looks like you left your permie job? Didn't read the complete thread....
      I got my first contract as a Java developer after 4 years of being perm. Two years on, I've moved into team lead/coaching type roles - the point I'm making is that what you're trying to do is entirely possible, and there is growth if you're smart and continue to develop personally, but I also was lucky that an agent (who is also quite young) took a punt to put my CV forward as no one else had got in touch up to that point.

Do I think I was good enough to compete in the contract market? For legacy projects yes (which, incidentally, is what I got my Java contract for), but for greenfield projects absolutely no chance.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalUser View Post
        For legacy projects yes (which, incidentally, is what I got my Java contract for), but for greenfield projects absolutely no chance.
        That's a good point. Any chimp could do my current gig so long as they passed the test which is one of the harder ones i've done.

Comment

Working...
        X