• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice

I'm a new contractor (although I worked for a consultancy previously so the working is similar).
    I'm just about to hit the 6 month mark with a fairly large financial, and a renewal is on the cards (I know the will is there if the bean counters concur) - does it really look much better if I take the extension so that I'm there 9 or 12 months, instead of 6? I don't like it there (proper bunch of hackers!) and the work is not really what I'd call contractor work, but it is about as local as I'm likely to get and is a good rate for the region.

I had planned on taking a month off to enjoy the early summer and hopefully line something else up while I'm at it, but someone has suggested that a longer stint, given that I'm new, will make it look more like i was valued rather than doing a standard 6 months and perhaps it didn't work out.

Any opinions? I'm pretty sure I would;t have a problem taking a few weeks off still, and the relative security of future income means i'd enjoy that time off more; but what I'm most interested in is whether the extra 3 or 6 months is really worth enough to tough it out for a few more months.

Any opinions much appreciated.

The only thing that agencies care about is you seeing out contracts. Most do understand that if they're going to give you a shorter contract that you're under no obligation to accept a renewal. Where they do get picky is if they find you've walked during a contract. There's no real difference between a 6 month contract and a 3 year one as long as you get a few good words out of it at the end from client and preferably agent, maybe ask for a few LinkedIn recommendations.

Comment

I had a similar situation last year but I stuck it out until there was no more renewals. I'm glad I stuck it out because the renewals filled the war chest and I had a great 2 months of bench time.

At no point was going to 'walk' but the gig was so full of politics that I could not be bothered with the daily pishing contest. But, I cracked on, kept my head down and, more importantly, invoiced with a smile.

"it's people like Jim, Jim MacDonald, who keep me going,"

tulip in your flowerbed

Comment

ta

Comment

Working...
        X