• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another company

I'm thinking of starting a 2nd, and maybe a 3rd, company - or area of work - completely unrelated to my first (I have a LTD).

These are really at the hobby stage and I'm just wanting to dip my toe in the water and see if there's anything in it worth pursuing.

One of them will have costs based on sales initially, ie. I'm thinking of paying someone else to make stuff for me, as and when orders come in so no massive risk for me. If it looks like it's worth doing, then I'll want to buy kit that could cost £5-6k up front, so I can do it myself.

Should I start a new LTD for this, or am I better running them, for now as Myco LTD trading as Myhobby, or something similar?

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
    I'm thinking of starting a 2nd, and maybe a 3rd, company - or area of work - completely unrelated to my first (I have a LTD).

These are really at the hobby stage and I'm just wanting to dip my toe in the water and see if there's anything in it worth pursuing.

One of them will have costs based on sales initially, ie. I'm thinking of paying someone else to make stuff for me, as and when orders come in so no massive risk for me. If it looks like it's worth doing, then I'll want to buy kit that could cost £5-6k up front, so I can do it myself.

Should I start a new LTD for this, or am I better running them, for now as Myco LTD trading as Myhobby, or something similar?
    Are there any relevant searches you could have made on Google etc prior to posting this?
    Someone's bound to ask...

Comment

Originally posted by MojoDog View Post
      Are there any relevant searches you could have made on Google etc prior to posting this?
      Someone's bound to ask...
      Hi, Yes. And I have. As ever, there are pros and cons to this and I've also asked my accountant the same question.

I guess I should have worded it better to see if anyone else has experienced this themselves and chosen a particular route.

Comment

Would any potential customers be put off by you being VAT registered?

If your new company wasn't VAT registered, then you can potentially be up to 20% cheaper than any competitors who are registered. That's only going to make a difference if the customers can't claim the VAT back, though, eg. direct sales to the public.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

If your new company wasn't VAT registered, then you can potentially be up to 20% cheaper than any competitors who are registered. That's only going to make a difference if the customers can't claim the VAT back, though, eg. direct sales to the public.
          Yes, that's a very good point. One of these would be selling direct to the public. The other, I suspect would be largely to wholesale or other companies, at least, although there could be a public element.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

16.(6)% cheaper.
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

If you do it as one company, then the debts of one will be the debts of the other. I.e. you could end up bailing out your "fun" business with your contracting business if it all fails.

OTOH it's two companies, so two sets of accounts, returns, bank accounts, etc. etc.

I ran a second small micro Ltd. company for a while, but that was because it was shared 50/50 with a friend. But with no VAT, PAYE or much of anything, it was pretty easy to do (NLUK will popup any minute and tell you you're inviting extreme doom by not having an accountant do all the work).

Perhaps if it's at the hobby stage you should just do it personally as self-employed or however that works. Then if it gets a bit more serious and you're investing in kit, go Ltd.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
              X